Server restore always fails RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to upgrade to an SSD and do a restore onto the new SSD. Previosly tried to restore to a 128GB SSD but it always failed saying "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found." I asked here and was told that the minimum disk size for WHS 2011 is 160GB so restore will not run on a 128GB drive. So I got a 256GB SSD and tried again. Still getting "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found" every time.
    Friday, March 8, 2013 4:08 AM

Answers

• Server restore will not restore to a drive smaller than it was originally installed on. Having said that, it should not have been larger than 160GB - what size was it? Is the SSD recognised by the BIOS?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Friday, March 8, 2013 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:48 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 8:14 PM

All replies

• Server restore will not restore to a drive smaller than it was originally installed on. Having said that, it should not have been larger than 160GB - what size was it? Is the SSD recognised by the BIOS?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Friday, March 8, 2013 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:48 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 8:14 PM
  • WHS is currently installed on a 2TB drive. 100MB EFI partition, 60GB system partition and the rest a third data partition. I since moved everything off the third partition and deleted it then made a backup of the first two with server backup.

The SSD is recognized by the BIOS and shows in the list were you can exclude drives from the restore.

So as I'm understading, since WHS was originaly installed on a 2TB drive, no matter how much data is on the drive and how small the partitions are, it will simply will not restore to a drive smaller then 2TB no matter what?

If that is the case. Will something like disk clone in Acronis True Image get the job done?

If so would future restores from backups of the SSD then work on that same 256GB SSD or would that 2TB marker still be there untill I did a clean install?

Saturday, March 9, 2013 3:17 AM