Use of Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Windows Vista Ultimate(retail) and upgraded my laptop's Vista Premium OEM.  After viewing the features, I would like to revert back to premium on my laptop, and install Ultimate on my desktop.  I have WGA ran, but need deactivation/activation direction.

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:34 PM

Answers

• Hello jaxdolfan1972,

No deactivation is required. 

1) Reinstall Premium on your laptop using the Windows Repair process provided by the OEM (it will either be a DVD or a small partition on your hard drive). the Windows Repart process will bring the laptop back factory configuration and Vista should already activated (if not, us the product key on the side of the computer...If you do this, please follow the below steps for activating by phone)

2) Install Ultimate on the desktop. During install, Vista may ask if you want to automaticly activate once the install is complete. The automatic activation will not work. Once Ultimate has installed, it will ask you to Activate. If you try activating by the internet, you will receive the error "Product Key already in use". You will need to activate by phone using the below steps

Activation by Phone:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:26 PM