Cannot Activate Trial copy b/c I can't logon to the server RRS feed

• Question

• How do I activate the evaluation copy if the login screen is telling me that I cannot login due to the trial ending?

I loaded WHS onto my server last week.  I've only had the system for ~7 days.  Yesterday, we had a rainstorm that knocked out all power (hurricane season here) and when I came home, everything electric in my house was off.  When power was restored and I turned the computer back on, I got the message that the evaluation period was over.  I checked the BIOS, realized it was set for 2001, changed the date and rebooted, but I still cannot logon.  I checked the internet, found a possible answer in the We Got Served forums, FINALLY figured out how to register and get a product key (another irritation), but I can't boot my server to a place where I can put it in and I can't find any documentation to help me.

I've had WHS for a week and I was starting to (slowly) get excited about it, but the support and documentation on this is REALLY shoddy and frustrating.  I just want to save my music/picture files and not have any problem.  I would like to stick with Microsoft on this server, but if it's going to cause me problem, I will readily give it up!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Victoria,
    once the time bomb hits (which happens under the described circumstances) and disables the trial, only a reinstall may fix the behavior.
    If the trial product key has already been entered and the activation proceeded, you also will need a new product key. Without entering a product key, the trial will run 30 days.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Thank you Olaf.  No, the product key was never entered because I just received it yesterday.  My question is, if I do a reinstall, will I lose everything that's on that drive?  My music collection and pictured are on that drive.  I have another, blank drive that I can use, just in case, but I don't want to lose any data.

Thank you for responding...

(My myriad of external drives is beginning to look better and better.)
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Thank you Olaf.  No, the product key was never entered because I just received it yesterday.  My question is, if I do a reinstall, will I lose everything that's on that drive?

As long as you select Server Reinstallation from the installation drop-down menu, you should not lose any data.  (Make sure you do not select New Installation as that will format everything.)

My music collection and pictured are on that drive.  I have another, blank drive that I can use, just in case, but I don't want to lose any data.

Thank you for responding...

(My myriad of external drives is beginning to look better and better.)

Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:59 PM
  • External drives and Windows Home Server are usually working together, but you should be aware, that some users reported problems with loosing such drives from the storage pool. These issues may depend from the enclosure of the drive, the cabling or the USB ports, so we usually do not recommend to add external disks to the storage pool. Adding them as backup disk for manually backing up the contents of shared folders is a different thing.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:40 PM