none
Login to Forums Fails when TLS 1.2 Enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Due to the new TLS 1.0 vulnerability, I've changed my security settings to use TLS 1.2... but MSDN Forums will not respond to login requests using that setting.  I have to downgrade to TLS 1.0 in order to use MSDN Forums... and so far, it's the only site I've had to do that with.  Other Microsoft properties (skydrive, hotmail) all handle TLS 1.2.

Please support TLS 1.2 soon.

Thx.

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:18 PM

Answers

• can you verify log in fails the same way from a search page or profile page? i'd like to figure out if this is forums specifically or the sign in framework shared across our apps.  Let me know if you aren't sure how to validate the search profile sign in scenarios, I'll give you more info if you need it.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:31 PM
    Answerer
  • One more note - and a thank you to whomever fixed this one...

The scenario I outlined above was a hack I used because a direct link to the Sign In page from the above scenario didn't work.  Since you asked for other scenarios, I just checked it, and it does now.

To clarify:  If I go to "My Threads" while not signed in (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Todd%20McDermid), then click "Sign In", I get sent to a login page.  If I copy the page address and use that as a bookmark/pin/shortcut, it works as I expect: It launches with a login page, and upon successful login, redirects to "My Threads".  That didn't work in the past...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:09 AM

All replies

• can you verify log in fails the same way from a search page or profile page? i'd like to figure out if this is forums specifically or the sign in framework shared across our apps.  Let me know if you aren't sure how to validate the search profile sign in scenarios, I'll give you more info if you need it.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:31 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm sorry Brent - I don't know what's going on now - but it's working with TLS 1.2 enabled.

I swear "I didn't do anything" :)  Only thing I can remember changing today is installing the WP7 RTW dev tools from the RC version.  Can't see how that would affect anything.

My usual login path is to hit http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/threads/, click "Sign In", enter my credentials, then click on "My Threads".  That sequence did not function earlier today, but does now.  I'll try again tomorrow, but I'm not thinking that will change the outcome...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:01 AM
  • One more note - and a thank you to whomever fixed this one...

The scenario I outlined above was a hack I used because a direct link to the Sign In page from the above scenario didn't work.  Since you asked for other scenarios, I just checked it, and it does now.

To clarify:  If I go to "My Threads" while not signed in (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Todd%20McDermid), then click "Sign In", I get sent to a login page.  If I copy the page address and use that as a bookmark/pin/shortcut, it works as I expect: It launches with a login page, and upon successful login, redirects to "My Threads".  That didn't work in the past...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:09 AM