MS Money Password Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I've read all the threads and I've not yet seen a fix. Here's my situation in a nutshell. I had a hard drive failure. I re-installed my MSMoney 2004 software from the original disk. I went to access my MSMoney file and I'm asked for a password. Here's a screen shot:

I used to start MSMoney and the old email address and  password would be entered automatically. Now I don't remember my password. 

When Money was first installed, I was using a different internet service provider. I had an email address then that now no longer exists.

I've tried the Money Key application from Passware, Inc. (I found that solution at ehow.com - [this link])

I thought it might be a windows live ID issue so I've also tried running the 'Password Recovery Tool for Windows Live' from Reactive-software.com. That tool told me the password for windows live was not on my computer - strange.

It looks to me like lots of others have had this very problem but I cannot find a solution. Any thoughts?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:33 AM

All replies

• Does your disk actually say "Money 2004"?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:00 AM
  • The password for windows live might not be on your computer if it is a new install of windows and I'm not sure the Passware product, at least, would touch a windows live ID problem anyway.  It looks as though it is intended for an ordinary password. According to Google, the phrase "windows live" does not appear on the lostpassword.com site so I would assume they don't try to break it with any of their products.

The ehow page reads like an advert for the Passware product with "Internet connection" and "Valid credit card" being all you need to break the password.

I like the idea of a "demo version allows each of the attacks to work for up to 1 minute" when a typical brute force attack could take days to run.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:12 AM
  • Yes. These are the actual disks I purchased.

Michael Mills

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Do you have another solution?

Michael Mills

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:17 AM
  • The reason that I asked is that some non-US countries' Money 2005 just said Microsoft Money copyright 2004. If that were the case, the handling would be different from Money 2004.

I did not use Passport or Live ID with my Money file, except as a brief experiment with test files. I don't remember what they looked like. I was thinking that the Money 2004 had a primarily green color scheme, and Money 2005 was blue. But it has been a long time, and your disk says "Money 2004". So it can't be Money 2005.

I am also wondering why Money 2004 would be asking for just a password and not both an email address and a password if you have a Passport on the file.

Anyway, with all of your checking on prior posts, you see that nobody has posted that he got into a file protected by a Passport /LiveID without recalling or finding notes on what the credentials in effect when the file was saved. I suggest you write down what you can remember and look through old notes. Also, if you had a disk image having cloned a drive to a bigger drive etc, it is possible you could boot the old drive with the remembered password and save your old data to QIF for import into a new file. I know it is a long shot, but it's not that uncommon.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:55 AM