I Give Up! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Make it work would be nice

Bought a complete new system with recommended parts which is well above spec.

Installed Home server and it kept on crashing during backups (reboot) and was unable to start up afterwards due to "file corruption".. every part was then exhaustively tested for errors without a problem being found..after the 12th attempt it worked (it did not like the nvidia driver for the onboard graphics but quite how this affects disk corruption is anyone's guess)!.. Sort of.. 1 machine on my home network would not back up.. Home server insisted on a disk check.. which was done without errors.

fast forward 2-3 months of 2 computers being backed up

The problem machine was reformatted and a fresh install with new HDs was done..

2 weeks later backup fails and the server has rebooted itself and is nowhere to be found on the network. The problem "file corruption" and a server unable to boot. Corrupt files from the backup or any file SHOULD NOT be able to impact the OS in this way!

As backups go this is as much good as a chocolate teapot, in fact it is in more need of backing up than the computers it is supposed to be backing up!!!!!!!

I have asked Microsoft for an exchange license for the machine so it is at least of more use than a doorstop but they want me to go through the whole support thing again.. as if I have not already done this enough with the original installs trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. They also want me to go through the problems again as they would be interested to examine the problem... THIS IS NOT BETA SOFTWARE!

I have not been so dissapointed since ME (though Vista is not exactly my favourite)

All I can say is I am glad I never fully trusted it and have full backups elsewhere.. so I suppose in some twisted way it has worked.

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    sorry to hear, that you have a lot of trouble. Faulty hardware components or incompatible drivers bring even the best OS down. Maybe your system would be instable also with other operating systems.
    Since you did not buy Windows Home Server as a complete hardware appliance, nobody else is to blame.
    (I would assume, not all your hardware components are listed on the Windows Server 2003 Hardware Compatibility List or even have native Windows Server 2003 drivers.)

That you cannot find it in the network, may have to do with the fact, that WHS usually gets its IP address via DHCP. This may cause the address changing and not all clients being aware of this, since name resolution in home networks is a stepchild. Login to the server locally with Administrator account and console password and open a command prompt.
    Enter the command
    ipconfig
    This should give you the IP address of the server.
    If you wish more support, run
    ipconfig /all
    on both the server and client and post the result here.

Check also the event log of the server (to be found in Control Panel/Administrative Tools) for more fundamental error messages or warnings.
    Having external (or even offsite) backups is also mandatory with a central storage system, since there are a lot of potential disasters which may demolish your server wait for appearance (and the most have nothing to do with an Operating System bug).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Sounds to me like microsoft is trying to help you.  They can't fnid the problem or offer assistance if you don't let them.  I know some companies that wouldn't even offer help with their products.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 3.15 tbs.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:45 AM