Synctoy 2.0 takes more than a day to back up in echo, contribute and sync modes. How can I make it go fast? Computer 1.4 yrs old; over 400,000 files RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Synctoy 2.0 a few weeks ago.  Aside from the fact that if I have either OUtlook or Eudora open while this program is running I get a whole bunch of errors with files having changed during the process, the process itself is taking forever.  Even if I already have a "contribute" that was done recently and I'm doing another of the same pair, it looks at the files on both drives and this takes overnight.  Then there's all the copying.  The whole operation takes 24 hours.  My computer is not that old.  I have four Gb of RAM.  There are a few hundred gigs free on both hard drives.  The number of files and folders is between 400,000 and 500,000.  I'm only having it copy or echo or contribute documents and settings.  I would have wanted to set this up to run every night or two, but with the errors and extreme time, I'm thinking this is not the product for me.  Please help.
    _
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:31 AM

Answers

• SyncToy concludes a file has changed if Modified Time on it changes - even if the file has not been updated content-wise.

Is it possible some other program is changing the modified time on your files (even if not updating the content). Can you check in Task Manager > Processes if some other program (like an antivirus maybe) is

You mention you are syncing stuff under "Documents and Settings" folder.
    It is possible some other program is monitoring your files under this folder and affecting their modified times.

Are most of your files of specific kind - music, photos etc.?

Thanks,
    Sameer

Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:38 PM