Urgent Status after Backup Updated RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have my backup on OneCare turned off because I regularly backup to hard drive. I came in to my computer yesterday. It had a red urgent Actions to Take message stating, "OneCare has encountered a problem and might not be protecting this PC." When I click on the Help button, it says, "This file may not be supported by AOL. AOL will try to open it as a text file if you choose to continue." I click on YES button & it says, "The file is too large to open using AOL. Please open this file using another application." I also tried Internet Explorer. No luck.

A yessow Action to Take message stated, "Review Your Backup Plan: OneCare recently updated your PC. Backup plan was automatically transferred to the new revision, but because of changes to OneCare backup, this may no longer be the best plan for your PC." I clicked the Review Backup Plan button, which stated, "Backup is turned off because your subscription has expired. To renew your subscription, follow the direction under Actions to Take." Of course I did this with no success, as above. My subscripton should be good till July 2008. It was for a year and installed 7/23/07. When I click on the hyperlink "Configure Backup," it says, "Configure backup cannot connect to the Windows Live OneCare service. Restart your conputer and try again. I did, and still no luck.  What do I do next?

Saturday, January 12, 2008 11:06 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you have a few issues following the update to 2.0. The first one would be that OneCare may not be running after the upgrade. See if this post helps - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2

The second is that AOL is your default web browser instead of IE and is intercepting the call to load the help page. Change your default web browser to IE and that should resolve that issue.

Finally, your subscription being expired may be due to the date and time on your PC being incorrect. If it is, please contact support for help -

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:38 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you have a few issues following the update to 2.0. The first one would be that OneCare may not be running after the upgrade. See if this post helps - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2

The second is that AOL is your default web browser instead of IE and is intercepting the call to load the help page. Change your default web browser to IE and that should resolve that issue.

Finally, your subscription being expired may be due to the date and time on your PC being incorrect. If it is, please contact support for help -

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:38 PM
  • I downloaded/saved/ran the repair tool and rebooted. I still get the same error messages as before. My error message does not say that it "encountered a problem and cannot start."

How do I change my default web browser to IE from AOL?

The date/time on my computer are correct, according to the bar in the bottom right of my screen.

I am concerned about not having protection. My bubble Icon has been green with no error messages up to this point since the problem I had with activation in November. I am not finding this a very user-friendly program.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:54 AM
  • You can change the default web browser by going to Control Panel and selecting Program Access and Defaults, but I strongly recommend that you reach out to support due to the multiple problems you've encountered with the update.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:49 PM
  • I left an online message to support. Isn't there someone I can call for support?  It said if you have an active subscription, you can get phone support, and it is not my fault that OneCare does not see my subscription as active. My computer is doing strange things and duplicating lines when I move my mouse.  Could I have a virus?  I have a business and cannot afford the time check on this problem and be delayed on my computer.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:14 AM
  •  rojo wrote:
    I left an online message to support. Isn't there someone I can call for support?  It said if you have an active subscription, you can get phone support, and it is not my fault that OneCare does not see my subscription as active. My computer is doing strange things and duplicating lines when I move my mouse.  Could I have a virus?  I have a business and cannot afford the time check on this problem and be delayed on my computer.

Email me - sboots@mvps.org. Tell me what country you are in. In the email subject put "OneCare" and in the message body copy and paste the URL for this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2673164&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:28 AM