HELP - Backup stopped working on one PC, other 2 are OK RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I'm operating 3 XP computers along with my WHS system on a LAN for over a year with no problems.

Suddenly, I can no longer backup one of these PC's. I've gone as far as removing the computer from WHS and then adding it back, still, it will not backup. I've done disk clean up & repair and it says everything is OK.

I normally do manual backups on all three of my computers,  I turn on Backups on the target computer in WHS and then click "Back up Now". When it's complete, I turn off Backups.

One of my computers just suddenly stopped responding when I do this, the other 2 work fine.

This is what I did trying to correct the problem: uninstalled Connector software and the removed the problem computer from WHS. Next I re-installed Connector software. As it completes the installation, it responds with "This computer cannot be backed up automatically because it does not have any HD volumes that are configured with NTFS file system!!! I repeated this process several times but always get this response and as a result the computer will NOT backup.

That's not true, my disk is formatted for NTFS. I also run a complete disk check on the system because I suspected that there

my be a problem that WHS does not like. This "problem" computer works just fine otherwise, no virus, etc. I just run out of ideas and need some suggestions please.

Greatly appreciate any help. jrwolfe@comcast.net

Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:53 AM

Answers

• <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I'm operating 3 XP computers along with my WHS system on a LAN for over a year with no problems.

Suddenly, I can no longer backup one of these PC's. I've gone as far as removing the computer from WHS and then adding it back, still, it will not backup. I've done disk clean up & repair and it says everything is OK.

I normally do manual backups on all three of my computers,  I turn on Backups on the target computer in WHS and then click "Back up Now". When it's complete, I turn off Backups.

One of my computers just suddenly stopped responding when I do this, the other 2 work fine.

This is what I did trying to correct the problem: uninstalled Connector software and the removed the problem computer from WHS. Next I re-installed Connector software. As it completes the installation, it responds with "This computer cannot be backed up automatically because it does not have any HD volumes that are configured with NTFS file system!!! I repeated this process several times but always get this response and as a result the computer will NOT backup.

That's not true, my disk is formatted for NTFS. I also run a complete disk check on the system because I suspected that there

my be a problem that WHS does not like. This "problem" computer works just fine otherwise, no virus, etc. I just run out of ideas and need some suggestions please.

Can you open a command prompt and type
    diskpart

Wait for it to respond, then once it's done, type
    list vol

and post the results here?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:15 AM

All replies

• I had two computers, both XP Pro, that would fail to backup/crash when it was their turn to backup. I tried chkdsk /f/r, they would both show repaired or no problems. After a month of that ____, I finally had to format and do a fresh install of Windows. Cured both computers.

Cruise

Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:42 PM

Can you open a command prompt and type
    diskpart

Wait for it to respond, then once it's done, type
    list vol

and post the results here?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:15 AM