Red sheild with a white X RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Person:  A while ago my computer with Windows ME  installed crashed ...I got a new hard drive & CD for Windows XP Pro & installed both....I went online & got & installed Windows One Care  with Firewall etc...I started to have problems with my computer & uninstalled the program...Another problem showed up involving icons...  After several tips & so-called solutions from some computer tech websites , it was suggested I do a repair with the windows XP Pro CD...That only made matters worse...So I reluctantly did a FULL RAW re-install...Now here's the fun part...I have a RED sheild icon with a white X in my start tray next to the clock..When I click it , it opens up the Windows Security Center that has Firewall , Automatic Updates & Virus Protection etc on it...Now my problem is that the program IS GONE  ( how that icon survived a repair & raw re-install IS beyond me ) & I want to ger RID of the icon & ALL that goes with it..I know MS won't like this thread , but s%*t happens...If I didn't have sooo much trouble with One Care , I'd keep it...My computer is a Dell Optiplex GX1..As old as it is , it works great...If  anyone can help , I would GREATLY appreciate it...MANY thanks in advance....Ron.M.....PS: I AM a newbie....

Sunday, August 10, 2008 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hello Ron, the Windows Security Center icon is appearing in the system tray because you do not have virus protection installed on your computer. Windows Defender is spyware protection not virus protection. You should install an antivirus program to protect your computer.

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Spybot is not an a/v program.

You can use Avast for free as a home user - http://www.avast.com

There are also others.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Dear Mr.Boots;     I downloaded Avast & installed it....I then clicked on the red shield & I now have antivirus  protection ...It also said the Firewall was off,so I turned it on & red shield disappeared from view....I got the message...Problem SOLVED...Thank you VERY , VERY much........Ron.M
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:33 PM

All replies

• Sorry to hear that you had problems in regards with onecare that had caused you to again reinstall your OS. I just hope you have elaborated on what problems you have experienced with onecare. Someone might have given you a much clearer explanation about it.

In regards with the Red Shield, with White X. You might be talking about the Security Center. At first installation of the OS, its normal to come up, most probably you don't have any antivirus software yet thats why its giving you that warning. Security center is not part of onecare, it comes with the operating system. You can't remove or uninstall it. its a built in ability of Windows XP. Give what security center wants and it will most probably go away.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Dear Wenskie:  1st , May I say thanks for your LIGHTNING fast reply...That said,,Let me clear up a couple of points...OneCare did NOT cause me to reinstall my OS...I took it off because I thought it was causing other problems which escape my memory at the moment..Turns out it wasn't causing any prob's...I reinstalled my OS due to some ill advised "tip" involving  a desktop icon problem , &  NOT OneCare....When I repaired using the WinXP CD , I don't recall seeing that red icon.. That turned out to be a MESS...It did show up after a full re-install.. And , yes it's for the Security Center & I'm not sure it came with the CD...I'm NOT saying you're wrong ,but when I first installed it after replacing the hard drive , it wasn't there..You said :  " Give what security center wants and it will most probably go away "  Any ideas how or what to do ??? Your help IS appreciated...PS: I have Windows Defender & it seems to be working as an anti-virus just fine...Am I correct ??

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Hello Ron, the Windows Security Center icon is appearing in the system tray because you do not have virus protection installed on your computer. Windows Defender is spyware protection not virus protection. You should install an antivirus program to protect your computer.

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Hello JimR1:  OK, I'm a believer !! Would SpyBot work??  If not , can you reccomend a FREE antivirus program?? I am retired & unemployed...And can NOT make ends meet with my Soc. Sec. checks...MANY thanks in advance....

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Spybot is not an a/v program.

You can use Avast for free as a home user - http://www.avast.com

There are also others.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Dear Mr.Boots;     I downloaded Avast & installed it....I then clicked on the red shield & I now have antivirus  protection ...It also said the Firewall was off,so I turned it on & red shield disappeared from view....I got the message...Problem SOLVED...Thank you VERY , VERY much........Ron.M
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:33 PM
  • You're quite welcome. :-)

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:30 PM