none
Is there a way to see only newest threads? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't want to see all these old re-activated threads unless someone besides Ed replies in them. Is there a way to not have the old threads pop up in this forum?

Thanks in advance.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:39 PM

Answers

• Well besides the obvious(?) "Sort By Most Recent Thread", I don't think there is. Certainly not something as complicated as "Don't bump thread if last post by <user>."

Frankly, I'm not sure what's the use of going through several year old threads and verifying whether the issue has been resolved. And since the issue in 99% of those ancient threads have long since expired, they just clutter up the default "Most Recent Post" view.  If someone at MSFT really thinks the only factor to a forum's existence is the answer percentage, they need to think again.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:46 AM

All replies

• Well besides the obvious(?) "Sort By Most Recent Thread", I don't think there is. Certainly not something as complicated as "Don't bump thread if last post by <user>."

Frankly, I'm not sure what's the use of going through several year old threads and verifying whether the issue has been resolved. And since the issue in 99% of those ancient threads have long since expired, they just clutter up the default "Most Recent Post" view.  If someone at MSFT really thinks the only factor to a forum's existence is the answer percentage, they need to think again.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:46 AM
  • I've seen several indications over the last two years that someone tracks the percentage (or absolute number) of unanswered questions in forums. When old threads are revived, the op sometimes replies back that the issue was either resolved or not. Unfortunately, the only way to "close" threads is to mark an answer, which sometimes is simply a statement that the issue is old.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Someday, if build an api, we could enable people to build apps that do stuff like this.

Community Forums Program Manager

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:27 PM
    Answerer
  • I've seen several indications over the last two years that someone tracks the percentage (or absolute number) of unanswered questions in forums.

I'm sure they do. I wouldn't have mentioned this otherwise. I was merely questioning the motive behind this.

When old threads are revived, the op sometimes replies back that the issue was either resolved or not. Unfortunately, the only way to "close" threads is to mark an answer, which sometimes is simply a statement that the issue is old.

All over the forums some threads never get attention / replies. Systematically going through old threads like this will just create an anomaly in whatever statistics MSFT is gathering, not "real" data of the state of these forums.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:38 AM