Unable to open MVC project in Visual Studio 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I started working on an Asp.net MVC website using Visual Web Developer Express 2008 a while ago. Just recently, I managed to get my hands on a copy of Visual Studio 2008 Professional (through DreamSpark ). I installed the Service Pack, and also the MVC2 files for Visual Studio.

However, now I can't open my project anymore. When I try to open the solution in Visual Studio, it tells me that the project type is not supported. Does this mean that I have to resort to using VWD Express again? Is there perhaps some way that I can edit the project file so that it will load and compile correctly?

Note: I installed MVC2 through the Web Platform Installer, and it says that it installed successfully. However, I notice that MVC references in my unit-test project don't seem to be resolved either - is this perhaps because MVC2 isn't actually installed properly?

• Moved by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:30 AM It's off-topic here. (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Monday, April 19, 2010 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi A_m0d,

This forum is for the support of Visual Studio installation. Since your issue is related to ASP.NET, you could post your thread on ASP.NET Forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Hello,

I think I'd ask in the ASP.Net MVC forum on forums.asp.net.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi A_m0d,

This forum is for the support of Visual Studio installation. Since your issue is related to ASP.NET, you could post your thread on ASP.NET Forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Hi Yichun,

I was of the understanding that this would be related to Visual Studio.  ASP.Net is working fine on my computer (I can use it fine through Visual Web Developer Express), but Visual Studio doesn't seem to have installed correctly, or is missing some components.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Hello,

I think I'd ask in the ASP.Net MVC forum on forums.asp.net.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:57 PM