Money 2004 (version 12.0) UK/Windows XP 32 bit Running very slowly RRS feed

• Question

• I have run Money 2004 for 6 years with no issues, and previous versions before that back to 1999. Data file now 47MB. I haven't archived any records as I like immediate access to all my data.

Over last few weeks, Money has started to run very slowly, often pausing (Windows time capsule display) for 5-10 seconds for no apparent reason before allowing me to continue. It does this in all types of operation. I haven't been able to find any answers to this on forum, looking back to August.

I run a 2005 Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P with P4 3GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB hard drive (100GB free space), Windows XP SP3 32 bit.  I have defragmented hard drive, also ran it with nothing else running, no improvement.

Any ideas?

Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:39 PM

Answers

• Cal

I don't want to temp fate but your solution Go to Tools->Options->Feedback->(PersonalizedFeedback)Options...
    and choose DoNotDisplayPersonalizedFeedback
    seems to have fixed the problem completely. My Money program seems to be running lightning fast now, which is a real relief.

I left my budget accounts unchanged, as this was key functionality for me.

In passing, I was also prompted by this incident to find some version backup software and I can recommend AutoVer, a freeware backup utility which unlike my mirror backup utility FBackup saves complete copies of specified files as at certain intervals. I have for now configured mine to make a copy of my Money file as at the end of each week, to 3 different locations (an external USB drive, and two other computers on my home network).

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards

Charles

• Marked as answer by Charles Hyatt Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:12 PM

All replies

• It could be slow file syndrome. Have you been an extensive user of bills?
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Hi Cal

I don't use bills very much, maybe 2 or 3 entries per month for the last few years. I use categories and subcategories extensively, and over the last 4-5 months have started using the budget planner for the first time. the budget planner is the only thing I can think of that I have done differently in recent times.

Rgds

Charles

Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Here are some things that may help.  While you are thinking about
    it, review your backup policy.  Especially, when you are making
    significant changes, you would want to make an extra backup file.

For each account, go to the account details.  Uncheck to include
    the account in the budget planner and for budgeted savings goals.

Go to Tools->Options->Feedback->(PersonalizedFeedback)Options...
    and choose DoNotDisplayPersonalizedFeedback.

You may find that having fewer scheduled bills will speed your
    program.

If you have one and could, you would remove your Passport. That ability has probably passed.

John Miller found that when he added the *.mny from the list of
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite's exclusions, the speed and mouse behavior
    improved.

Unfortunately the Microsoft UK folks stopped issuing new versions of Money before the Remove All Bills feature was added. The sure-fire way to speed things up is to do QIF export+import. That is significant work, and you lose info in the process. Yet is is worthwhile to some.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Cal can I just check a couple of points first:

review your backup policy: done, I do a mirror backup every day onto an external USB hard drive + I have made 2 standalone safety copies which won't get overwritten. Separately I will install a freeware version backup so that I automatically store a non-overwritten version of the file every week or so.

the account in the budget planner and for budgeted savings goals
    : if I do this won't I disable my ability to use the budgetting feature in Money: being able to use budgetting is is key to me, though I currently only use the budget reports, and don't use budgeted savings goals?

: does this step need to be sequential following the previous one, or is it an additional separate possible improvement?

You may find that having fewer scheduled bills will speed your
    program
    : I now understand bills are bad and have deleted the one remaining one that was active. The only other bill that comes up is with credit cards where it says "Do you want to pay bill now", or something like that, to which I always answer no.

If you have one and could, you would remove your Passport I have never used Passport, fortunately

ZoneAlarm Security Suite: I don't think I use this, or is it buried in Money somewhere? I use Norton Internet Security 2010 which incorprates Norton AntiVirus.

The sure-fire way to speed things up is to do QIF export+import: seen some of the posts about that, may end up with no alternative to doing that if it remains slow. A more radical alternative may be to start a completely new Money file, and keep the old file intact for historic reporting, tax returns etc?

Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Cal not sure what to do next, I had 3 questions that I wanted to check before I attempt them:

: if I do this won't I disable my ability to use the budgetting feature in Money: being able to use budgetting is is key to me, though I currently only use the budget reports, and don't use budgeted savings goals?

: does this step need to be sequential following the previous one, or is it an additional separate possible improvement?

ZoneAlarm Security Suite: I don't think I use this, or is it buried in Money somewhere? I use Norton Internet Security 2010 which incorporates Norton AntiVirus.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Cal not sure what to do next, I had 3 questions that I wanted to check before I attempt them:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite: I don't think I use this, or is it buried in Money somewhere? I use Norton Internet Security 2010 which incorporates Norton AntiVirus.

Those suggestions are ones that I had gleaned by reading the experiences of others. Regarding the negative effects of turning various things off, remember that you can undo any changes to your Money file by File->Restore one of your earlier backups. You should have more than one vintage of backup. But you could certainly make an extra copy or backup of your file before trying something that you feel uneasy about. Keep notes or give the file/backup a descriptive name. Now if disabling a feature does help you speed, then you could assess its value vs the speed change. But to be honest, except for the QIF export, I doubt that these things will have the desired effect. Yet it seems worth a try.

Regarding the Norton, I would make sure my Windows Updates were up to date. I would uninstall Norton, and test your speed. In the past, people have posted that disabling Norton was not sufficent, and that uninstall was needed to actually disable Norton. But that was long ago. Things may well have changed. You can reinstall Norton after your test.

• Marked as answer by Charles Hyatt Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Charles Hyatt Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:07 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Cal

I don't want to temp fate but your solution Go to Tools->Options->Feedback->(PersonalizedFeedback)Options...
    seems to have fixed the problem completely. My Money program seems to be running lightning fast now, which is a real relief.

I left my budget accounts unchanged, as this was key functionality for me.

In passing, I was also prompted by this incident to find some version backup software and I can recommend AutoVer, a freeware backup utility which unlike my mirror backup utility FBackup saves complete copies of specified files as at certain intervals. I have for now configured mine to make a copy of my Money file as at the end of each week, to 3 different locations (an external USB drive, and two other computers on my home network).

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards

Charles

• Marked as answer by Charles Hyatt Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:12 PM
  • ...make a copy of my Money file as at the end of each week, to 3 different locations (an external USB drive, and two other computers on my home network).
    Never forget the possibility of "common mode failure" across multiple machines all at home. Lighning strike, fire, flood, theft all come instantly to mind. I take a copy to the safe deposit box at least every six months on one of the 2.5" USB drives.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 9:03 PM