SiliconImage SIL3132 RAID driver RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a 'convenient' SIL3132 RAID (bios 7.2.23) card to enable 2 additional SATA ports per PCI-e slot.

There was a WHS update released December 2008 with a new si3132r5.sys driver and version 1.5.19.0. I cannot find this driver on the SiliconImage web site - they are still listing a 2007 driver. If I use this 2007 driver then for some reason the card is no longer recongnised by WHS (note this is the same driver supplied with the card).

If someone is using one of these cards then could they check their driver version and confirm it is 1.15.19.0 or later. If so, then could you please attach a copy of the 3 named driver files found in  c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and including si3132r5.sys.

Alternatively could someone please point me to the WHS update file.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    you can try to login locally to your home server, start Internet Explorer and run Windows Update from here (you may even wish to switch to Microsoft Update from there). Maybe the driver you are talking about is listed in the optional updates.
    I'm pretty sure, that this update (if there is any) has not been released specially for Windows Home Server, maybe for Windows Server 2003, which is the WHS basis.
    Be aware, that this method is not supported and that drivers from Microsoft Update in the past have also be known for causing more trouble than benefit.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, February 13, 2009 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    you can try to login locally to your home server, start Internet Explorer and run Windows Update from here (you may even wish to switch to Microsoft Update from there). Maybe the driver you are talking about is listed in the optional updates.
    I'm pretty sure, that this update (if there is any) has not been released specially for Windows Home Server, maybe for Windows Server 2003, which is the WHS basis.
    Be aware, that this method is not supported and that drivers from Microsoft Update in the past have also be known for causing more trouble than benefit.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, February 13, 2009 7:14 AM
  • To emphasize what Olaf has said: When you run updates from within the WHS console, you will receive those updates that Microsoft and the WHS team consider critical or high-priority for the product. This will include things like security updates, WHS product enhancements, etc. It will not (typically) include drivers. If you want to update a driver, you will have to use Windows Update to do so, which will require you to log in to your server with physical console or Remote Desktop and run Windows Update manually. If/when you do this, you should not install other optional or hardware updates, only the one you want.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Yes, this is what I ended up doing.

I had to excecute a fresh install and am now in the process of restoring my disks incrementally and then adding them to the WHS pool. I was able to secure the latest Sil 3132 drivers by enabling the LAN driver and then using the Sil device driver update process to access the 'web' and download the lastest copy.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:19 AM
  • Had to do that, but I have gotten the never to put it back in the pci-e slot yet. Nice to know a windows update will fix this. This piece of hardware was troublesome (I got screen issue [no blue screen]). Will this work for xp 64 bit?
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:03 AM