Can't restore win 8 client, whs 2011 doesn't finish loading from usb flash drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• I installed the KB2781272 UEFI/GPT hotfix, and created a bootable usb flash drive on the server.  When I try to boot the windows 8 pc from the usb flash drive it just sits at the windows screen. Any ideas?

• Edited by ravingmach1 Monday, July 8, 2013 1:57 AM
    • Changed type Andy Qi Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:38 AM
    Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:32 PM

All replies

• What was the initial problem with the Windows 8 PC?  Sounds similar to a windows 7 PC I had recently.  Had installed a new secondary Hard drive, the drive failed after about 5 days, blue screen, reboot, hung on windows startup.  Disconnected the new hard drive and windows would boot up normal.

Rod

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:24 AM
  • Hi Rod, thanks for replying.

No problem with the pc. I just want to make sure that I can successfully back up and bare metal restore my 2 Windows 8 laptops.

Unfortunately the restore doesn't work on either laptop. When I boot either one from a boot-able USB flash drive (made a unique key for each laptop on the server) it gets as far as the Windows Starting screen and just sits there. Apparently this supposedly works for people but I can't figure out why whs 2011 won't load from the usb key (tried different usb flash drives 4GB, 8GB).

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Hi folks,

VAIO T Series SVT15112CSX Windows 8 laptop

I still haven't found found an answer to this. I did find out that if I change the boot mode on the laptop from UEFI to legacy the whs 2011 recovery software completely loads from the flash drive and I can restore the backup. However the laptop won't boot because the original drive was UEFI. Does anyone have any idea why whs 2011 can't finish loading in UEFI mode or any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this? Thanks

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Sounds like a couple of issues here...

One: After a restore, is the Hard Drive on the Laptop still set as a UEFI or has the Restore set it to a MBR type?

Two: Is the BIOS set up for UEFI or MBR booting? And is this correct for the now type of Hard Drive?

If you need to use a UEFI type of Flash Drive use Rufus from http://rufus.akeo.ie/    to make one.

Bruce Hobson IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Thanks for replying Bruce.

One: After a restore, is the Hard Drive on the Laptop still set as a UEFI or has the Restore set it to a MBR type?  

The only way I can do a restore at all is if I set the boot mode in the bios to mbr but since the backed up drive (original) was partitioned as uefi it won't boot. How can restoring a backup change a setting in the bios?

Two: Is the BIOS set up for UEFI or MBR booting? And is this correct for the now type of Hard Drive?

The original drive has uefi partitions and the bios is set to uefi mode. This is what I backed up. The drive that I am trying to restore the backup to is an mbr. I had expected that once whs had finisihed loading it would create the uefi partitions and then restore the backup but whs never finishes loading.

If you need to use a UEFI type of Flash Drive use Rufus from http://rufus.akeo.ie/    to make one.

How do you load the whs2011 restore prog?

Maybe I'm confused on a couple of things. Isn't uefi just another partition type like NTFS and as long as your bios supports it you can create uefi partitions on any drive?

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:12 PM