temp folder filling RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS2011 for several years.  Everything was working very well. Recently, my operating system partition (c:\) was reported to been low on space.  I extended the partition size and it filled up rapidly again.

Disk cleanup does not appear to be removing files in c:\windows\temp.  I removed them manually.  The c:\windows\temp folder seems to be filling up with files named cab_nnnn_nn.  Is this normal?  How can I prevent this from happening?

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:26 PM

Answers

• These cab files are created when Windows is compressing the log files and afterwards they are normally deleted from the temp folder. It looks like you have a log file that is too large to be handled by the makecab.exe utility and this causes these cab files to be created over and over.

I would look in the \windows\log folder and in the subfolders there in for a large log file. If your system is running fine otherwise it is safe to delete that log file.

Luc.

Friday, December 4, 2015 4:36 PM
  • Thanks to everyone.  I tried the suggestions provided by Eve and Luc.  Luc provided the solution for my issue. Deleting the CbsPersist_ files in the log folder and deleting files in the temp folder and cleaning up the temp folder fixed the problem.  Large cab_nnn_n stopped being created.
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 3:39 PM

All replies

• Not normal. My Temp folder is only 309MB. I only have four files with a name as you describe with the latest date in 2012. Do you have any non-WHS software installed that might be causing the problem?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:17 PM
  • The only things that I have on the sever are 1) an add in AWIECO WakeOnLAN, 2) a weatherlink app to monitor my weather station, and 3) a disk partition manager (MacroRit).  I have been using the first two items for years.  I recently used the disk partition manager to extend my C:\ drive because it was running out of room because of the growing c:\windows\temp folder.
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:30 AM
  • CAB files are usually compressed files coming with 3rd party installers. Can you analyse the properties of the files (i.e. creation date, details like creator)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

Doing a full disk scan with antivirus software if possible. 

Check to see if any exception process is running with Task Manager.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 4, 2015 8:49 AM
  • These cab files are created when Windows is compressing the log files and afterwards they are normally deleted from the temp folder. It looks like you have a log file that is too large to be handled by the makecab.exe utility and this causes these cab files to be created over and over.

I would look in the \windows\log folder and in the subfolders there in for a large log file. If your system is running fine otherwise it is safe to delete that log file.

Luc.

Friday, December 4, 2015 4:36 PM
  • Thanks.  I think you may have solved the problem here.  I found a lot of CbsPersist_  files in the log folder.  One of them was over 2G and the total was about 10G.  I deleted them.  At least for now, there are not large c:\windows\temp\cab_nnnn_n files being created. I'll watch this for a few days and report back.
    Friday, December 4, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Thanks.  Did the disk scan.  I didn't note any exception process.  I deleted some log files as suggested by Luc.  Hoping that solves the issue.
    Friday, December 4, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Thanks to everyone.  I tried the suggestions provided by Eve and Luc.  Luc provided the solution for my issue. Deleting the CbsPersist_ files in the log folder and deleting files in the temp folder and cleaning up the temp folder fixed the problem.  Large cab_nnn_n stopped being created.
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to update the result. Your sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:48 AM
  • I am having the same problem.  I discovered that WHS2011 is creating files in the Temp folder to create pre-back-up files of the server before they are written to the external (in my case) back-up drive.

Unfortunately it seems to not have the ability to automatically do any house-keeping of the temp folder.  

I found that if you delete the contents of the temp folder prematurely (files created on the same day of a back-up) it will cause the server to possibly crash and then restart.  It will somehow also delete your client setting, which means computers which are registered to be backed up regularly on your network become de-registered.

Since WHS2011 is now no longer supported, I've decided to purchase a new Lenovo Think Server TD350 which I am installing Windows Server 2012 R2 on.

Though Windows Server 2016 is slated for roll-out around July of this year, Windows Server 2012 R2 has main support until 1/9/2018 and extended support until 1/10/2023.  Currently there is no Service Pack Support End Date.

• Edited by Don Resor Sunday, May 1, 2016 6:31 AM fix spelling/edit/additons
    Sunday, May 1, 2016 6:24 AM
  • Dear Eve and Luc,

I appreciate your comments but have a more important question. Why is this happening on two of my computers and not others?

I do not want to manually delete files as I did this once to increase space on my hard drive and it caused me to lose some files, I probably did something wrong.

Microsoft must have a fix that can be uploaded to erase and prevent this from happening.

Please involve Microsoft and help us so we do not have to delete files manually. This should not be happening. 

I only have one program on one of my computers and this is annoying.

Thank you 

Larry

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:42 PM
  • This helped me, also. I had deleted 233GB of cab_nnn_n files from Windows\Temp, but then the next day, there were more. I also found a CbsPersist_ file in excess of 2GB in my Windows\Logs\CBS folder.
    • Edited by G Coram Saturday, January 27, 2018 3:33 PM
    Saturday, January 27, 2018 3:28 PM