WHS Restore indicates an Extraordinarily Long Time for restore (DAYS) and then eventually fails after 2 days RRS feed

• Question

• I have been unable to restore a client from my WHS.  I have followed instructions presented in this and other forums, boot from the restore CD, have my drivers on a USB stick, install my drivers, select my drive, all appears well except the progress indicator.  It starts at 9minutes, then within about 1/2 hour it indicates 14 minutes, then after a couple of more hours, no progress, I go to bed, the next morning it indicates 4 days 0 hours, 3 minutes.  I let it run for 2 whole days and it eventually crashes in some fashion as I come back to black screen indicating that the HDD failed to boot.

I have tried restoring on the original computer (HP D4999T) with built in gigabit NIC, then with a PCI Realtek based gigabit NIC, all with the HDD connected in its original single drive SATA (IDE Emulation) condition.  I have since tried moving the HDD into another machine with a completely different built in NIC and SATA controller, same results.  I then tried yet a third machine while connecting the drive to be restored via a USB adapter/dock.

All restore attempts transpire the same way, an indication of DAYS to complete and no eventual completetion.

I have performed all available updates through Microsoft update on the WHS.  My originally installed version was OEM w/PP1.  The WHS is built on a Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H Nvidia based board w/Gigabit NIC, dual core AMD 4400+ CPU, 4GB Ram, 2 x 1TB plus 2 x 640GB HDDs all with a 500W power supply.  I am using a Trendnet 672GR gigabit router w/wireless.  All connections are with new CAT6 cables.  I am only trying to restore from a WIRED connection.

I am also running Avast WHS edition antivirus and the Avast Pro 4 client antivirus.  I tried disabling the antivirus but no change in restore problem.

Please help, my frustration level is at its peak and I am getting desparate to have the client functioning again.  I have been fighting this problem for a couple of weeks.

Thank you,
    Stephen
    Friday, March 13, 2009 8:44 PM

Answers

• My problem is solved, my wallet abused and my dis-like for a brand firmly enlisted.

After trying multiple configuration settings with my Trendnet 627GR Dual Band N Gigabit router, I went to "Restore to Factory Defaults" and it still would not work.  It seems to work great as long as you are not running a network with Windows Home Server.  If you want WHS and wish to do back-up and retore functions then this IS NOT the router to have.

I went on the "cheap" as this unit was $75/$100 less than the competition.  The reviews on Newegg.com all looked good and many satisfied customers.  That was three months ago.  I have been battling problems with IP address being assigned in duplicate to more than one machine by the DHCP of this router.  I had spotty results with back-ups and never could restore a unit from a back-up set.

After figuring out that restore worked just fine with a crossover cable, then I really started looking at the router as "the root of all evil" in my home network.

I broke over and purchased a Linksys WRT610N router, had it installed and configured within 20 minutes.  All of my IP address issues are gone, my back-ups and restores go off like clock work and the setup of the Remote Access componet within WHS auto-configured with this router and are working great as well.

Thank you to those who offered advice and guidance to find my problems and I take back all of those terrible thoughts I had about the WHS product and place them squarly on the Trendnet product.

Bottom line, "Pay me now or pay me later".  I bought a cheap router and got cheap results.  I literally have somewhere over 120 hours invested in chasing these issues over the course of 3 months.  All to have saved $100 on my router purchase.  Even the fry cook at McDonald's would come up on the short end of the "Time Value of Money" equation.

Stephen
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:27 PM

All replies

• Stephen Jenkins said:

I have been unable to restore a client from my WHS.  I have followed instructions presented in this and other forums, boot from the restore CD, have my drivers on a USB stick, install my drivers, select my drive, all appears well except the progress indicator.  It starts at 9minutes, then within about 1/2 hour it indicates 14 minutes, then after a couple of more hours, no progress, I go to bed, the next morning it indicates 4 days 0 hours, 3 minutes.  I let it run for 2 whole days and it eventually crashes in some fashion as I come back to black screen indicating that the HDD failed to boot.

I have tried restoring on the original computer (HP D4999T) with built in gigabit NIC, then with a PCI Realtek based gigabit NIC, all with the HDD connected in its original single drive SATA (IDE Emulation) condition.  I have since tried moving the HDD into another machine with a completely different built in NIC and SATA controller, same results.  I then tried yet a third machine while connecting the drive to be restored via a USB adapter/dock.

All restore attempts transpire the same way, an indication of DAYS to complete and no eventual completetion.

I have performed all available updates through Microsoft update on the WHS.  My originally installed version was OEM w/PP1.  The WHS is built on a Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H Nvidia based board w/Gigabit NIC, dual core AMD 4400+ CPU, 4GB Ram, 2 x 1TB plus 2 x 640GB HDDs all with a 500W power supply.  I am using a Trendnet 672GR gigabit router w/wireless.  All connections are with new CAT6 cables.  I am only trying to restore from a WIRED connection.

I am also running Avast WHS edition antivirus and the Avast Pro 4 client antivirus.  I tried disabling the antivirus but no change in restore problem.

Please help, my frustration level is at its peak and I am getting desparate to have the client functioning again.  I have been fighting this problem for a couple of weeks.

Thank you,
    Stephen

What you describe is usually an indication of a NIC failing.  Have you tried replacing the NIC both on client and server?  How much data are you trying to restore?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:53 AM
  • I have tried using 3 different clients and 4 different client NICs but I have not tried a different NIC in the WHS.  I had no reason to belive that the WHS NIC was in question becasue the rest of the network activity related to the server appears fine.  It will stream media, it backs up 4 systems timely and correctly as well as remote access functions correctly.

I am willing to try nearly anything, so I will add a PCI gigabit NIC to the WHS and disable the onboard NIC to see what happens.

My current attempt has been running for 24 hours and I have been watching it closer as I get up in the night to check on the progress indicator.  I have a 32in LCD panel and it gains about an inch every 8 hours and is currently about 30%ish which would be a steady course for a 24hour period.

I was also wondering if assigned IPs could be an issue.  When I first set the system up, every new client I installed would try to take the IP address of the WHS and there would be 2 computers with the same IP and it would take multiple restarts to settle it out and sometimes it wouldn't settle out.  I then researched IP settings as I am not a networking guru.  I figured out how to assign IPs and every system got its own IP within a range of 5 numbers from each other.  This also stablized remote access since the WHS IP was not moving all of the time, I would not have to reset the port forwarding within the router.

Since the router was handling DCHP, in retrosopect I wonder if I should be questioning the router as a potential probem.  I updated to the latest firmware when I was having the duplicate IP problem but saw no relief.

Could I use a crossover cable to connect the WHS and the client directly?  At that point would I leave the fixed IPs alone or would I go back to "Automatically obtain an IP"?

Better yet, I just had a brainstorm while typing this, since the assigned IP would only be active within the windows environment and when a restore function is taking place the client NIC does not have an assigned IP, is it relying on DCHP that is never happening?  I now wonder what would happen if I left the WHS IP assigned so as to keep port forwarding stable and let DCHP sort out IPs for the clients...  I believe I turned DCHP OFF in the router setup, maybe just turning it back on and still leaving everything with fixed IPs might still work also...

Forums are great for communicating ideas with others but when you have to logically explain things it makes you rethink the problem yourself.  I would still appreciate additional input but I have a new set of actions to try.

Stephen
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Stephen Jenkins said:

I have tried using 3 different clients and 4 different client NICs but I have not tried a different NIC in the WHS.  I had no reason to belive that the WHS NIC was in question becasue the rest of the network activity related to the server appears fine.  It will stream media, it backs up 4 systems timely and correctly as well as remote access functions correctly.

I am willing to try nearly anything, so I will add a PCI gigabit NIC to the WHS and disable the onboard NIC to see what happens.

My current attempt has been running for 24 hours and I have been watching it closer as I get up in the night to check on the progress indicator.  I have a 32in LCD panel and it gains about an inch every 8 hours and is currently about 30%ish which would be a steady course for a 24hour period.

I was also wondering if assigned IPs could be an issue.  When I first set the system up, every new client I installed would try to take the IP address of the WHS and there would be 2 computers with the same IP and it would take multiple restarts to settle it out and sometimes it wouldn't settle out.  I then researched IP settings as I am not a networking guru.  I figured out how to assign IPs and every system got its own IP within a range of 5 numbers from each other.  This also stablized remote access since the WHS IP was not moving all of the time, I would not have to reset the port forwarding within the router.

Since the router was handling DCHP, in retrosopect I wonder if I should be questioning the router as a potential probem.  I updated to the latest firmware when I was having the duplicate IP problem but saw no relief.

Could I use a crossover cable to connect the WHS and the client directly?

That should work.

Stephen Jenkins said:

At that point would I leave the fixed IPs alone or would I go back to "Automatically obtain an IP"?

I would go with DHCP on both client and server (which would automatically kick in APIPA in that scenario).

Stephen Jenkins said:

Better yet, I just had a brainstorm while typing this, since the assigned IP would only be active within the windows environment and when a restore function is taking place the client NIC does not have an assigned IP, is it relying on DCHP that is never happening?

Yep. :)  The only reason I didn't mention it before is because you shouldn't be able to restore at all with all static IPs.  (The fact that the server and client are communicating without DHCP active is, quite frankly, a miracle. ;)  )

Stephen Jenkins said:

I now wonder what would happen if I left the WHS IP assigned so as to keep port forwarding stable and let DCHP sort out IPs for the clients...

That is precisely what I do (static IP on the server, DHCP on everything else).

Stephen Jenkins said:

I believe I turned DCHP OFF in the router setup, maybe just turning it back on and still leaving everything with fixed IPs might still work also...

Just make sure your static IP on the server is outside the range of the DHCP pool provided by the router.

Stephen Jenkins said:

Forums are great for communicating ideas with others but when you have to logically explain things it makes you rethink the problem yourself.  I would still appreciate additional input but I have a new set of actions to try.

Stephen

Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I think I have decided all of my speed problems are related to my network setup and the configuration of my router.  I am still learning my way around networking as I have had limited experience.

My restore went like clock work when using just a crossover cable between the client and the WHS.  I am still trying to get it to work correctly through my router.

I have now set the WHS and the stations to use DHCP and have reserved a specific IP for my WHS by MAC address in the router configuration.  By doing this my remote access speeds inceased but I have not tried another restore yet.  Unfortunately I am now experiencing a new back-up problem with one of my clients that I just added while the other client  is backing up properly. The new client has never successfully completed a back-up yet and it seems to hang for a long time at 35%.  It makes it to 35% in under 15minutes and then takes hours to make any additional progress.  I saw 40% after an overnight wait but have yet to see a successful backup.

I plan on trying the crossover cable for that application as well to try and find some relief before just chucking the damn WHS out onto the street.  These little issues have plauged me for 3 months and I have dumped countless hours down a bottomless hole trying to make my home systems more reliable and easier to back up.  The money and man hours I have spent could have bought a lot of professional help. 

I consider myself very logical and tech savy.  I am the goto guy at my office and I have resolved countless Windows and hardware issues on my own systems and friends over the years.  WHS was supposed to be such a simple and user friendly item to incorporate into my life... I am beginning to question the usability and viability of a home server.  I feel I am not ahead for my troubles.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Stephen Jenkins said:

I think I have decided all of my speed problems are related to my network setup and the configuration of my router.  I am still learning my way around networking as I have had limited experience.

My restore went like clock work when using just a crossover cable between the client and the WHS.  I am still trying to get it to work correctly through my router.

I have now set the WHS and the stations to use DHCP and have reserved a specific IP for my WHS by MAC address in the router configuration.  By doing this my remote access speeds inceased but I have not tried another restore yet.  Unfortunately I am now experiencing a new back-up problem with one of my clients that I just added while the other client  is backing up properly. The new client has never successfully completed a back-up yet and it seems to hang for a long time at 35%.  It makes it to 35% in under 15minutes and then takes hours to make any additional progress.  I saw 40% after an overnight wait but have yet to see a successful backup.

I plan on trying the crossover cable for that application as well to try and find some relief before just chucking the damn WHS out onto the street.  These little issues have plauged me for 3 months and I have dumped countless hours down a bottomless hole trying to make my home systems more reliable and easier to back up.  The money and man hours I have spent could have bought a lot of professional help. 

I consider myself very logical and tech savy.  I am the goto guy at my office and I have resolved countless Windows and hardware issues on my own systems and friends over the years.  WHS was supposed to be such a simple and user friendly item to incorporate into my life... I am beginning to question the usability and viability of a home server.  I feel I am not ahead for my troubles.

The times when I get most frustrated is when I have more than 1 problem at the same time (you think, "It seems like X is the problem..... But if X is the problem, why is Y happening?").  Invariably, it's because there are 2 issues at once (which makes it that much harder to diagnose).  It sounds like your network config, combined with your new backup situation, would fit into that category as well.

I believe you will find your restore will now work (based on your network config).  As for the new backup issue, you should try running chkdsk /r on each drive in that client.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:32 AM
  • I will try the chdsk /r

As for my restore, it still does not work through my router, only with a crossover cable.  I took a spare drive to try the restore function again with my new network configuration... right back to square one, it won't work.

I think that perhaps the network IS the issue at large.  I have reset my router to factory defaults and am preparing to try backup and restore functions in that environment.  If successful I will make one change at a time and test the results until I can get back to the security and remote access settings I am looking for.

If router factory defaults do not work then I think my next step is to try a different router...  I will update.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:10 AM
  • My problem is solved, my wallet abused and my dis-like for a brand firmly enlisted.

After trying multiple configuration settings with my Trendnet 627GR Dual Band N Gigabit router, I went to "Restore to Factory Defaults" and it still would not work.  It seems to work great as long as you are not running a network with Windows Home Server.  If you want WHS and wish to do back-up and retore functions then this IS NOT the router to have.

I went on the "cheap" as this unit was $75/$100 less than the competition.  The reviews on Newegg.com all looked good and many satisfied customers.  That was three months ago.  I have been battling problems with IP address being assigned in duplicate to more than one machine by the DHCP of this router.  I had spotty results with back-ups and never could restore a unit from a back-up set.

After figuring out that restore worked just fine with a crossover cable, then I really started looking at the router as "the root of all evil" in my home network.

I broke over and purchased a Linksys WRT610N router, had it installed and configured within 20 minutes.  All of my IP address issues are gone, my back-ups and restores go off like clock work and the setup of the Remote Access componet within WHS auto-configured with this router and are working great as well.

Thank you to those who offered advice and guidance to find my problems and I take back all of those terrible thoughts I had about the WHS product and place them squarly on the Trendnet product.

Bottom line, "Pay me now or pay me later".  I bought a cheap router and got cheap results.  I literally have somewhere over 120 hours invested in chasing these issues over the course of 3 months.  All to have saved $100 on my router purchase.  Even the fry cook at McDonald's would come up on the short end of the "Time Value of Money" equation.

Stephen
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Stephen Jenkins said:

My problem is solved, my wallet abused and my dis-like for a brand firmly enlisted.

Stephen

All I can say is after all the troubles I've had with other products (although I've never specifically tried TrendNet), I am a Linksys user for life. ;)  Yep, they cost a little more, but they're worth it IMO.  Anyway, glad to hear you got it worked out. :)

Friday, March 20, 2009 9:56 PM