Does Vail refresh support multiple back up drives? RRS feed

• Question

• as above.

The last version of Vail could only support backup up the server to one hard drive. Has this been addressed in the refresh?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:46 AM

Answers

• You can have more than one backup drive. You just can't create a backup that spans more than a single drive. This is a limitation of the underlying technology, not Vail.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Not in one shot, no. Windows Server backup (the underlying technology) doesn't support spanning drives, as I said. It also doesn't support backing up more than 2 TB of data at once, no matter how large the destination drive may be.

You can craft a custom set of backups that will cover everything on your own, if you like; you can learn more about advanced uses of server backup (wbadmin and the GUI tools) on Technet. Obviously this will be technically unsupported.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:59 PM

All replies

• You can have more than one backup drive. You just can't create a backup that spans more than a single drive. This is a limitation of the underlying technology, not Vail.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:06 AM
  • So in my system of 4 x 1TB drives is there a way to backup more than 1TB of data?
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Not in one shot, no. Windows Server backup (the underlying technology) doesn't support spanning drives, as I said. It also doesn't support backing up more than 2 TB of data at once, no matter how large the destination drive may be.

You can craft a custom set of backups that will cover everything on your own, if you like; you can learn more about advanced uses of server backup (wbadmin and the GUI tools) on Technet. Obviously this will be technically unsupported.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:59 PM

A pretty decent workaround (in my opinion) and a great practice in general is to back up your data to a NAS. It IS possible to backup over a network in Vail, using the right technology. iSCSI is means to an end which can certainly be defined as "backing up data over a network". I have a 4-bay NAS, 4x1TB in raid5 for a 3TB volume which spans multiple drives and gives you a comforting level of security all at once. Im using this right now on two WHS machines on different networks with varying hardware and it hasn't given me any problems. WHS Vail comes with the iSCSI initiator conveniently pre-installed and ready to discover some iSCSI targets right out of the box, that was more than enough to entice me. Once the iSCSI initiator connects to the iSCSI target (NAS), the "hard drive" shows up in the dashboard and can be added to the storage pool or as a backup drive. I wouldn't recommend adding it to the storage pool because the initiator connects to favorite targets after the machine has finished booting, this could cause problems, but I dont see this as a caveat when using it as a backup destination.

Most affordable NAS units support iSCSI and multiple hard drives and are good to have for home use, gbe is a heck of a lot faster than usb2.0 for external storage.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Doesn't help with the limitation on backup size, I'm afraid. Thats a result of the use of .vhd files for backups. And you can't take a NAS with 4x 1TB drives off-site for disaster recovery; you can take a single external drive off-site however.
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:11 PM
  • It all depends on how resourceful you are, my NAS backs up to the SAN in my datacenter cabinet. By the same token, you could backup the NAS to an external harddrive and take that offsite.
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:06 PM