Custom Report: Task by Resource RRS feed

• Question

• My PM would like a report that lists tasks along the y axis and resource group along the x axis with the work summarized in the middle for a specified date range.  I have gone over all the reporting and can't see how or where it is even possible to combine tasks and resources on one report let alone do the cross tab that he is requesting.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Tammy,

John is right, visual reports.  choose an assignment usage view.  Here's one I knocked up in 5 mins from the Software Development plan template.  The slicer for the weeks gives the time period. 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Friday, September 23, 2016 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tammy Levasseur Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:39 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 8:11 PM

All replies

• Tammy,

I know Project 2013 introduced expanded capabilities for reports but I don't have that version so I can't say for sure if it can be done in Project. My guess is, no, the report your PM wants will have to be generated in another application (e.g. Excel). There are two ways to do that, one is to use Visual Reports to export Project data into a pivot table in Excel where you can manipulate the pivot table data to produce the report, or my preferred method is to use VBA to export the data and automatically produce the desired report.

John

Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:29 PM
  • I have looked through the visual reports but can't seem to find any reports that allow you to select resources and tasks at the same time.  If I was able to pull those two fields the pivot wouldn't be a problem but for some reason, MS Project doesn't allow you to select Resource Groups and Tasks together. 
    Friday, September 23, 2016 12:09 PM
  • Even building a custom report does not allow for the selection of resources and tasks together in the same visual report.  Unless I'm missing something????
    Friday, September 23, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Tammy,

Well yes you are kind of missing something. Project has three main data types, task, resource and assignment. When viewing either Usage view in Project, you will see task and assignment or resource and assignment data. Even though tasks and task assignments are different data types, and resource and resource assignments are different data types, the task assignment data "parrots" resources and resource assignment data "parrots" tasks. In short, the Visual Report of Task Usage or Resource Usage data should give the combined data that you need.

If you are adept at manipulating pivot table data, you should be able to do a visual report of the Task Usage or Resource Usage and hopefully generate a graph. But if not, VBA may be your only alternative unless some third party has a wiz-bang Project report utility.

By the way, which version of Project are you using?

John

Friday, September 23, 2016 3:44 PM
  • I'm using MS Project 2013.  I'll review your comments and go back into Visual reports and see if I can pull the required fields. 

Thanks John

Friday, September 23, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Tammy,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, September 23, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Hi Tammy,

John is right, visual reports.  choose an assignment usage view.  Here's one I knocked up in 5 mins from the Software Development plan template.  The slicer for the weeks gives the time period. 

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Friday, September 23, 2016 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tammy Levasseur Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:39 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 8:11 PM
  • That's It!!!!!!

Thank you both so much. 

:) :) :)

Tammy

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Your welcome.  It's nice when the enthusiasm is evident from the reply :)

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:44 PM