Using own set of database and images RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've loaded and looked at the US president sample and would like to use a set of database and image that i have. I've explored the US president database example and have gotten an idea on how to go about doing it. However, there are still a fair bit of issue regarding implementing to my data+image that i need guidance on

1. Creating the model. What do i have to note of when i create the XML and XML schema?\

2. Inserting data+iamge to zentity. How would the difference in structure affect this process? I understand that there are stuff in the EDMX folder involved in this process.

Thanks a lot for the guidance. 

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Erene,

To Create Data Model, User has to have

1. RDF XML, and RDF Schema files. Sample RDF files available inside USPresident DataModel Sample (file names are, PivotDemo.Model.xml, and PivotDemo.Model.xsd)
    2. User has to load the data and images using Zentity Data Service
    3. Run the PowerShell Cmdlets to associate Image to the Resource as mentioned in the Getting Started Guide.

Please let me know if this helps you in achieving your purpose.

-Regards

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Hi Erene,

As far as I understand the creation of a Zentity Data Model that supports images in the Pivot Viewer involves the following processes:

1. Design Data Model : You must have in mind the scalar properties (attributes) and relationships (along with theirs cardinalities) that your model will contain.

2. Create a Data Model: Here you actually create the Data Model in Zentity. There are (I repeat, this is as long as I understand and I'm not an expert) 2 ways to do this:

2.1. Through RDF schemas and Power Shell Scripts. This approach is partially documented in the Getting Started Guide with the USPresidents example. Take into account that the only documented part of this approach is the transition from the RDF schemas to Zentity, but the RDF schemas generation doesn't seem to be documented (again I might be wrong on this one).

2.2 Through C# code. This is approach is totally documented in the Extensibility User Guide. (Be careful because there are some parts of the data model creation process that are not so straight as they seem, e.g. when you finish the model creation it is always good to run the Update_ZentityDataModels in the DataModelService.ps1 script otherwise there might be problems during the Pivot Collection generation)

3. Change the Pivot Collection Visual Type to Associated Image. This is done with som Power Shell Scripts and the process is totally documented in the Getting Started Guide.

4 . Inser Data. And here the things get a little bit tricky because the approach you take here depends highly on the approach you took in the second step, i.e. if you took the 2.1 approach you will have to use now Zentity Data Services and this approach is not formally documented, the only hints you have here are in the code of the data importers of the provided samples. In the other hand if you took the 2.2 approach the Extensibility User Guide will tell you all you need to do. But take into account that the documented approach only imports raw data, not XML or SQL data. If you want to import data from XML files you'll have to take a look at the data importers for the provided samples. The insertion of images is not formally documented, but you could again take a look at the provided samples as well as the source code chm files and do it. (b.t.w Rigth now I have only been able to insert PNG images, so take that into account)

5. Create the Pivot Collection. Once you have your data up the only thing is left is to create the Pivot Collection and Deep Zoom images. This can be easily done with Power Shell scripts and is documented in the Getting Started Guide.

I ask Kalnemi to correct me if I'm wrong, because I have found out this by myself so it is probable that I get missed something.

Hope this helps ;)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hi Kalnemi and Santiago,

thanks a lot for the help. I benefitted greatly from it.

I've reach the stage where i have to insert data/image to zentity(add resources). I tried using the webUI and it throw me error. Looking at the logs it said this

w3wp.exe Error: 0 : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.resourcemanagement_manageresource_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\webui\af36d493\73ac9d8b\App_Web_gsu2h5dw.7.cs:line 0
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Wonder if its some configuration that i didn't do or that i most probably make some error at the earlier stages. Or is it that i strictly have to refer to the exe file for insertion and insert the data?

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:09 AM