Dual Boot Clients and Windows Home Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know how WHS backups clients. I have several Win7 x64 (Home Premium & Professional) & Win XP x86 (Home & Professional) pcs that should not be a problem, but there is my main workstation that features a rather unusual configuration: It has a) Windows XP Professional x86 and b) Windows 7 Professional x64 (dual boot) but I also use c) another Windows XP partition on an permanently attached external drive that I boot using my mainboard's "Press F8 to Select Boot Device"-Feature. This drive is not and should not be integrated to the Windows boot manager.

I already looked for an answer. If I got everything right I should install the WHS client on my main Windows, b), and WHS will backup a) and b). But since I do not know if WHS has to boot every Windows installed on a client in order to backup it I wonder if it will backup c) also. Can you tell me?

Second question: What about harddrives that have been deactivated in Windows XP's Device Manager or that have no drive letter (both done in order to hide them from the Explorer)? Can they get backuped?

3st

Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:58 PM

Answers

• On your client computer, any partition which A) is formatted with the NTFS file system, B) has enough free space for a volume snapshot to be taken, and C) is not excluded from being backed up will be backed up automatically. In your described configuration, you would install the Windows Home Server connector on the OS you use the most frequently, and all partitions will be backed up unless you exclude them. Note that a drive which is disabled in Device Manager is, as far as Windows is concerned, non-existent, so it will not be backed up.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:02 PM

All replies

• On your client computer, any partition which A) is formatted with the NTFS file system, B) has enough free space for a volume snapshot to be taken, and C) is not excluded from being backed up will be backed up automatically. In your described configuration, you would install the Windows Home Server connector on the OS you use the most frequently, and all partitions will be backed up unless you exclude them. Note that a drive which is disabled in Device Manager is, as far as Windows is concerned, non-existent, so it will not be backed up.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Thank you.
    Friday, October 8, 2010 5:56 AM