Communicator cannot connect. RRS feed

• Question

• ---------------------------
    Office Communicator
    ---------------------------
    Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

When anyone who is NOT on the same subnet tries to login they get this message.  But let me be clear - the other subnets on our network are a router-to-router vpn connection.  There is no filtering or port blocking for the vpn connections.

We used "manual" settings to make the connection. The event log indicates it is attempting to connect to the proper FQDN and proper PORT, but it does not connect and fails.

It does work if the computer is on the same subnet.

We think the logic (or non-logic) of the situation has something to do with certificates.  So, we setup a CA on our intranet and installed that cert on the OCS server.  No luck though.  all subnets point to the same DNS servers and they all have the same records in them.

We have implemented Enterprise voice, IM, conferencing.

All seem to work other than this issue.

We have deployed OCS R2, no edge server.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:27 AM

Answers

• Fixed.

Router Firmware Upgrade solved the problem.  Router erroneously blocking that port.

Thanks for the assistance!
    • Marked as answer by Barry Adkins Friday, May 15, 2009 8:01 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:44 PM

All replies

• You may want to try configuring the Front-End server to listen over TCP 5060 and try connecting from clients over TCP.  This will remove certificates from the equation, but from your description I don't see how certificates would be an issue as if they are configured correctly and a specific workstation connects, but then no longer connects once it's moved to a remote subnet then I'd have to say it's most likely network related.

Can you telnet to 5061 across the VPN and see a connection to the FE server?
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, April 24, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Before I answer your question...

The test case is my home where I administer and work remotely all the time.  As far as I've ever experienced, I have complete access to the office network from my home.  My home is on a separate subnet.

I can do the windows thing all day long to the OCS server, remote desktop, connect network resources, etc.

Yet, I tried to telnet to the server from the office, and I do get a connection, although I don't seem to be able to do anything, and I admit, I don't know what kind of connection the OCS server is offering over telnet.

If however, I try the same thing from home, it cannot connect.  This is very strange, because I do not see or know what is blocking the connection.

Any pointers will be appreciated, in the mean time I will embark on the treasure hunt to find the key that opens the treasure chest of port 5061 access over an "other" subnet....

-Barry

Friday, April 24, 2009 2:44 PM
  • The telnet session will just open a blank window, but that denotes that the service was connected to.  If you can't connect remotely than either (A) name resolution isn't working corecctly and you are being sent to the wrong host, or (2) traffic is somehow blocked or filtered over that port.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, April 24, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Fixed.

Router Firmware Upgrade solved the problem.  Router erroneously blocking that port.

Thanks for the assistance!
    • Marked as answer by Barry Adkins Friday, May 15, 2009 8:01 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:44 PM