none
NEW Windows home SERVER BUILD-- HELP RRS feed

All replies

• I can't comment specifically on your motherboard; Abit doesn't make a model A9. In general, though, look for a motherboard with Windows Server 2003 drivers available for the chipset, network, storage, and graphics. Don't bother with a separate graphics card; integrated graphics are fine.

The processor should be perfectly adequate, as should the RAM.

You should choose a good quality case with some room for expansion; the specifics will depend on your needs, which you haven't stated. Same for the power supply, though I'd go for a high-quality PSU of at least 450 watts.
    Friday, May 9, 2008 12:44 AM
  • I guess I should of stated how I plan to use the server. I will mainly use it for storing photos, videos and backing up my other computers. I will also stream videos from this machine. I will also use some of the plug-ins, I am not sure which ones yet. Do any of the plug-ins require alot of cpu or ram usage?

As far as the MB goes I was looking at this one, it was recommended from another forum.

ICHR9 based board from GigaByte,

I guess if i order this one I will need a graphics card.

Thanks

Friday, May 9, 2008 12:58 PM
  • As Ken says, the first thing to do, is ensure that Server 2003 drivers are available for all the hardware, this is a server after all and your first priority should be stability.

Also, unless you are competent and sure that you want a Raid setup, (which isn't a supported scenario,) that particular board seems a bit over the top.

Your limitation as far as performance is concerned, will be your network and it's associated overheads. Storgae and streaming, (even HD,) don't take much in the way of horsepower. Also, none of the Add-Ins add much to that overhead, but, unless you really need them, don't forget the premise of less is better when referring to servers.

Colin  

Friday, May 9, 2008 4:31 PM
  • I would look at the results of this search on NewEgg.com and see if you can find a motherboard that meets your needs and has Windows Server 2003 drivers. Like Colin, I would recommend against configuring your server with RAID, so you don't really care if RAID is supported or not as long as you can use the board without it.

If you're going to stream media, that's one thing. You don't need much horsepower for that. If you plan to install software that will transcode videos for you, you will need a lot of CPU power, and more RAM than you probably think. I would recommend against trying to transcode anyway; per Microsoft the preferred media solution using Windows Home Server is a two box solution, with Media Center using WHS as network storage.

Regarding add-ins, I personally believe "less is more". If you need the capabilities of a particular add-in by all means install it, of course. But don't install it just because it's a cool idea, or out of a desire to know more about what Windows Home Server is doing under the covers. The disk management add-in mentioned over in the developer forum is an exception, as it makes it less difficult to identify a drive should you want to remove it. It's useful to have if you expect to be adding and removing drives regularly.

Also, regarding what you eventually install: Try very hard to avoid giving in to the temptation to install a piece of software on your server that you would normally use on your desktop, just because it would be more useful if that software were running all the time. There are legitimate reasons to install desktop software, but the more often you add/remove software, the more likely you will have stability problems.
    Friday, May 9, 2008 5:03 PM