new user adding a pc to circle RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am a new user and finally got a laptop connected to my circle.  It only took 24 hours.

Can I add an IMac computer to my circle?  I would like it to be able to access the network printer.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:42 PM

Answers

• OneCare will not install on anything except 32 bit XPSP2 or any flavor of Vista, so unless your iMac is running XP or Vista, you will not be able to install OneCare, which is how a computer gets added to the Circle.

You should, however, be able to share the printer normally through Windows.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:04 PM

All replies

• OneCare will not install on anything except 32 bit XPSP2 or any flavor of Vista, so unless your iMac is running XP or Vista, you will not be able to install OneCare, which is how a computer gets added to the Circle.

You should, however, be able to share the printer normally through Windows.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:04 PM
  • My situation is different.  I have a recent one care backup of my PC that crashed.  I replaced the PC with an iMac.  Can I retrieve any of my files from the One Care backup on the iMac?

Thanks for any input.

frustrated Vista User
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:20 PM
  • TomGor said:

My situation is different.  I have a recent one care backup of my PC that crashed.  I replaced the PC with an iMac.  Can I retrieve any of my files from the One Care backup on the iMac?

Thanks for any input.

frustrated Vista User

Maybe.

Basically, the restore of data from a OneCare backup requires that you install OneCare and then use the restore wizard. Since you can't install OneCare on the Mac, you have two options:

1. Install OneCare and restore the files to another computer running Windows, then copy those files to a USB drive or over the network to the Mac.

2. On the Mac, see if you are able to browse the backup media (external USB disc, flash drive, CD/DVD) that you used for the OneCare backups. The data has been compressed into .zip files. I don't know the capabilities of the various compression utilities for the Mac OSX, but if they can open a .zip file, you should be able to extract your files manually from the .zip files in the backup. You may run into an issue with files that OneCare backup had to split into pieces due to being a large size. If that happened to any of your files, after extracting the pieces, you will need a re-join utility to piece them back into a usable data file. I can't suggest a re-join utility for OSX, but for Windows this one is free and works:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:58 PM