none
Unknown error while attempting to install WHS connector client software RRS feed

• Question

• I have a LAN with PCs running several versions of Windows (XP Pro, Vista Home Premium, Win 7 Pro 64 bit).  All of the older PCs seem to interact with my WHS server (HP MediaSmart EX 475 running WHS Power Pack 3) without difficulty.

I just purchased a new Win 7 Pro 64 bit PC.  I have not been able to install connector software.  I install by locating \\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software\ in Windows Explorer.  Installation goes smoothly until the installer asks for the server's password.  I enter the password and receive a message:

An unknown network error has occurred.

Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on.  Then restart this Wizard.

At about the same time there is an entry in the Application Event log:

The description for Event ID 1794 from source HomeServer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Based on what I have seen in this forum I have tried several things already:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software

I disabled my AV and firewall on the new client computer (I don't have AV or firewall on the WHS box because it is not configured to permit remote access)

I changed to a different router

I tried a direct cable connection between the new PC and the server

I verified that each computer can ping the other using both computer name and ip address.

Also of note: I can access the WHS server from the new PC via Remote Desktop (and vice versa), and I can browse all of the folders of the WHS machine from the new PC using Windows Explorer.

The only change I have made since the last successful new client PC installation a couple of months ago (Win 7 Pro 64 bit), aside from any automatically installed updates, is the installation of 2 additional disk drives on the server.  I have not added or deleted any add-ins or changed the server configuration.

The new PC does have Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials installed, but the outcome is the same whether or not they are active.

Other than the failed installation of the WHS connector software the PC seems to be functioning OK.  I can share files on the LAN and browse the Internet. 

I will appreciate any help solving this.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• I'm still not sure WHY this problem came up but I did solve it.

The way I had IIS set up it was not possible to access the WHS box via browser, just via Windows Explorer or RDP.  When I changed IIS so I could browse there via http://servername instead of via myname.homeserver.com I was able to install the connector via web browser.

This solution makes NO sense, because the configuration I had (until I made the change in IIS just now) was the same as it was the last time I successfully installed the connector.

Still, the connector did install.  Now I'll have to see whether the backup works properly.

• Marked as answer by Bill Osler Monday, July 12, 2010 2:14 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:14 AM

All replies

• 1.  Check the clock on new computer, both time and time zone.
    2. Disconnect your router from the Internet and then install the Connector.  Afterwards, reconnect.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

I have a LAN with PCs running several versions of Windows (XP Pro, Vista Home Premium, Win 7 Pro 64 bit).  All of the older PCs seem to interact with my WHS server (HP MediaSmart EX 475 running WHS Power Pack 3) without difficulty.

I just purchased a new Win 7 Pro 64 bit PC.  I have not been able to install connector software.  I install by locating \\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software\ in Windows Explorer.  Installation goes smoothly until the installer asks for the server's password.  I enter the password and receive a message:

Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on.  Then restart this Wizard.

The description for Event ID 1794 from source HomeServer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

I disabled my AV and firewall on the new client computer (I don't have AV or firewall on the WHS box because it is not configured to permit remote access)

I verified that each computer can ping the other using both computer name and ip address.

Also of note: I can access the WHS server from the new PC via Remote Desktop (and vice versa), and I can browse all of the folders of the WHS machine from the new PC using Windows Explorer.

The only change I have made since the last successful new client PC installation a couple of months ago (Win 7 Pro 64 bit), aside from any automatically installed updates, is the installation of 2 additional disk drives on the server.  I have not added or deleted any add-ins or changed the server configuration.

The new PC does have Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials installed, but the outcome is the same whether or not they are active.

Other than the failed installation of the WHS connector software the PC seems to be functioning OK.  I can share files on the LAN and browse the Internet. 

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:19 PM
  • 1.  Check the clock on new computer, both time and time zone.
    2. Disconnect your router from the Internet and then install the Connector.  Afterwards, reconnect.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

I have a LAN with PCs running several versions of Windows (XP Pro, Vista Home Premium, Win 7 Pro 64 bit).  All of the older PCs seem to interact with my WHS server (HP MediaSmart EX 475 running WHS Power Pack 3) without difficulty.

BullDawg

Thank you for replying.  I should have noted in the OP that the router, client and server all have the same time zone setting and they agree on time to the extent I can tell by observing the clocks.  Although I'm not sure how disconnecting the router from the Internet would be substantially different from using a direct cable connection between the client and server, I tried it anyway.  I still get a message about an 'unkown error'.  The only difference I could discern is that the Application Event Log on the would-be new client PC listed Event 1818 this time as the event for which no description could be found.  It was Event 1794 last time.

Any other suggestions?

Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:38 PM
  • No other suggestions.   If I come up with anything additional, I will post it.  Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

1.  Check the clock on new computer, both time and time zone.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg

Thank you for replying.  I should have noted in the OP that the router, client and server all have the same time zone setting and they agree on time to the extent I can tell by observing the clocks.  Although I'm not sure how disconnecting the router from the Internet would be substantially different from using a direct cable connection between the client and server, I tried it anyway.  I still get a message about an 'unkown error'.  The only difference I could discern is that the Application Event Log on the would-be new client PC listed Event 1818 this time as the event for which no description could be found.  It was Event 1794 last time.

Any other suggestions?

BullDawg
    Monday, July 12, 2010 12:32 AM
  • I'm still not sure WHY this problem came up but I did solve it.

The way I had IIS set up it was not possible to access the WHS box via browser, just via Windows Explorer or RDP.  When I changed IIS so I could browse there via http://servername instead of via myname.homeserver.com I was able to install the connector via web browser.

This solution makes NO sense, because the configuration I had (until I made the change in IIS just now) was the same as it was the last time I successfully installed the connector.

Still, the connector did install.  Now I'll have to see whether the backup works properly.

• Marked as answer by Bill Osler Monday, July 12, 2010 2:14 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:14 AM
  •  On 7/11/2010 9:14 PM, Bill Osler wrote:

I'm still not sure WHY this problem came up but I did solve it.

I was going to recommend accessing it via http://ipaddress:56000 and see if the connector installed that way. For example, http://192.168.2.80:56000

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Okay, that's one to add to the bag of tricks.  Glad you got it working.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

I'm still not sure WHY this problem came up but I did solve it.

BullDawg
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Thanks.  That ends up being similar to what I did.  I installed via http://servername:55000.  In my case I cannot use the browser to access via numeric IP address.  Somewhere along the line (a LONG time ago, before the ISP disabled remote access) I set up IIS so that HTTP requests have to have the server name in the header request.  One consequence is that I cannot access the WHS web pages via IP address, only by URLs that have the correct domain name (from Internet) or the server name (on the LAN, after last night's fix).  When the ISP broke remote access during the upgrade to 'fiber to the home' I never went back to change the IIS settings because I never use the browser to access home server.  I just use WHS for backup/shared storage and (in the past) remote access to my LAN.  Up until now the inability to browse to the server hasn't mattered.  I've installed new clients without difficulty using Windows Explorer to access the files on the server.

One thing, though: I have to use port 55 000.  I don't get any response on port 56 000.

I was going to recommend accessing it via http://ipaddress:56000 and see if the connector installed that way. For example, http://192.168.2.80:56000

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:42 AM