Unable to Turn On Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Onecare has been installed and appeared to be working sucessfully until Security Update for Windows KB943485 was automatically uploaded 11/1/08. Since then the firewall has been turned off and when I attempt to turn it on Onecare "Does not respond".

Currently it appears that I'm running without a firewall.Not a situation I like.

I havn't tried to uninstall as yet as I'm not happy to download almost 12 months of updates.

My version of OneCare is 1.24.5508.0

Hope someone can help.

thanks

Bob

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:22 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

The last vesion of OneCare was 1.6 and now 2.0 has been pushed out to users. Can you post the information on the :

Help | About Windows Live OneCare ?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Bob, if you need to reinstall Windows Live OneCare, it will be the latest and up to date version immediately.

I'm not sure why the LSASS security patch would be causing you problems, but suspect that you actually encountered a problem with OneCare updating from 1.6 to 2.0.

Please see this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2 for a possible fix.

If this does not resolve it, please contact OneCare support -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Hi,

The suggestion to use the Firewall Repair Tool appears to have fixed the problem.

OneCare Version after repair is 1.6.2111.38

Firewall policy version: 1.2.16.105

thanks for your interest.

Bob

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Steve,

Thanks for your help.

The Firewall Repair tool fixed the problem

After repair the version is 1.6.2111.38

Firewall policy version: 1.2.16.105

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:41 AM
  • You're welcome, Bob. If OneCare does not update to 2.0 in the near future, I would recommend contacting support as you are currently running an older version. All users should have 2.0 available to them if you use "Check for updates" in OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:11 PM
  • The suggestion did not help. it appeared to work when I first restarted my computer, but alas.. no.. I still have no firewall.  After spending over an hour on the phone and with remote help from microsoft they were unable to help me either and were supposed to call me back and never did.. until I emailed them back with a complaint and then they called me at MIDNIGHT! and I did not answer. because I was sleeping.. come on people, this is crazy!
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:17 AM