Validating two PCs – Question from a Newbie RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently purchased my kit to convert my Windows to a genuine copy on the evening of December 7th, and have yet to receive my email with the link to the Update Tool. My question is as follows:

I have my primary PC which I will be running the update on, and I have a secondary PC (I’m *thinking* would be referred to as a home network) which communicates and shares files through my router. I was wondering, I will be able to run the same Update Tool on my second PC with my new Windows key that I will be doing for my primary PC?

This is all very new to me, so any and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Saturday, December 9, 2006 7:28 PM

Answers

• Luckystars:

You *CANNOT* install the same copy of Windows on two different PC's.

-phil

Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:42 PM

All replies

• Luckystrs,

Your situation:  Your first computer has a nongenuine installation of XP on it.  You ordered one WGA Kit to "genuine-ize" your first computer.  You own a second computer which also has a nongenuine installation of XP on it.

Since the second computer also has a nongenuine installation of XP, you will need to order a second WGA Kit, since each kit only has one valid Product Key.  The first WGA Kit's Product Key will be used to "genuine-ize" the first computer---you cannot use it again to "genuine-ize" the second computer. 

There is nothing special about the update tool, it is just a utility that "applies" the genuine Product Key that comes in the WGA kit.  The Product Key and the to-be-shipped-later genuine XP CD are what you are paying for.  The utility itself can be downloaded for free from microsoft.com.

Saturday, December 9, 2006 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!! I wasn’t aware that I could download the tool from Microsoft’s site! I’ve been waiting for that “email”! I’ll have to try to find the Update tool, and get started!

Thanks again!

Saturday, December 9, 2006 10:34 PM
  • Luckystrs,

When you get the email with the Product Key, it will have instructions and a link to download the key updater utility:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

Sunday, December 10, 2006 5:50 PM
  • Luckystars:

You *CANNOT* install the same copy of Windows on two different PC's.

-phil

Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:42 PM