Training Kits vs. Resource Kits RRS feed

• Question

• How do these two sets of manuals compare to each other? After briefly looking over the overview for these sets, I have the impression that the training kits contains the fundamental theory that will be testing during the certification exams, along with many practical drills, whereas the resource kits have a more comprehensive coverage of the theory, with much less of the practical component.

My goal here is to learn everything I can in regard to Windows Server 2008 technology, not simply to aquire the certification. Is my impression of the two sets accurate? If so, I'd rather get the resource kit set as I create my own practical drills to do after each section of theory.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:18 AM

Answers

•  
    Blue Olive said:

How do these two sets of manuals compare to each other? After briefly looking over the overview for these sets, I have the impression that the training kits contains the fundamental theory that will be testing during the certification exams, along with many practical drills, whereas the resource kits have a more comprehensive coverage of the theory, with much less of the practical component.

My goal here is to learn everything I can in regard to Windows Server 2008 technology, not simply to aquire the certification. Is my impression of the two sets accurate? If so, I'd rather get the resource kit set as I create my own practical drills to do after each section of theory.

Resource kits (including the Inside Out Series) are far more technical and ... well resourceful than Training Kits. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing fundemental about some Training Kits. But most, if not all, of the same information found in TKs are in the Resource Kits. Training Kits are designed with the structure of the exam in mind (skills measured and objectives). Resource Kits contain that plus more things to fry your brain...
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    • Proposed as answer by Michael D. Alligood Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ferenike Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:30 AM

All replies

•  
    Blue Olive said:

How do these two sets of manuals compare to each other? After briefly looking over the overview for these sets, I have the impression that the training kits contains the fundamental theory that will be testing during the certification exams, along with many practical drills, whereas the resource kits have a more comprehensive coverage of the theory, with much less of the practical component.

Resource kits (including the Inside Out Series) are far more technical and ... well resourceful than Training Kits. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing fundemental about some Training Kits. But most, if not all, of the same information found in TKs are in the Resource Kits. Training Kits are designed with the structure of the exam in mind (skills measured and objectives). Resource Kits contain that plus more things to fry your brain...
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Michael D. Alligood Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ferenike Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Thank you Michael - that was very helpful. I don't want to be one of those people that study to simply pass the exam and then not be able to apply the knowledge. I think this is why there is even a "certification vs. experience" debate at all.

If these are like the 2000 set, I'll be happy.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:51 AM
  •  You are welcome. Take a look at my other post, http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/b58642cb-35b9-48d6-ad3c-8cc3c1db1354 and see if that might help you.
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:59 AM
  • That post is very helpful and well-written. I read it yesterday. I don't think I've ever seen a Karate Kid reference in a post - it's usually Yoda. ;)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:09 AM