Allow WHS to join a domain RRS feed

• Question

• It currently works, but the FAQ says that it is not supported and will cause licensing issues.

It does a great job as a backup server and I can see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to include it in a domain.  I understand that many home users don't run domains, but some of us do, probably many of your testers.

I can understand not allowing it fearing that it would be used in a commercial network, but I'm sure that there are other ways to do this besides not supporting domains.

You might also want to consider it as a tool for small businesses.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:50 AM

Answers

• Norm,

I don't blame you for asking, but I don't think your request is likely to happen.  Let me explain it from my point of view.

Microsoft is creating a wide range of server products differentiated by features / price and targeted at different markets.  Each market has its set of must-have, nice-to-have, and seldom-used features.  WHS is obviously for the home market.  If you read the various statements and blogs, you get a sense that Microsoft spent a lot of effort discovering the essential features of the home market.  Why?  So that the WHS doesn't displace sales of the SBS product.  This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that there were some pretty tough fights internally to get WHS approval.   Domain support is not a must-have or nice-to-have feature for the home market.  Sure some of us run domains; but that just confirms that the home market has a long tail, statistically speaking.

You obviously understand markets and products and I don't mean to diminish that.  But when you suggest that WHS could be a tool for small business, I think this is where you start mixing market segments.  A product for the SOHO market definitely, but not small business.

From my point of view, WHS is a pleasant surprise in that there will soon be a server-class operating system available that I know how to support and develop software for.  Up until now, the choice has been either use a desktop OS or Linux.  WHS is a huge step forward.

Murray

Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:47 AM