Can I change my license type from Branded to OEM? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the situation. I am helping my friend with a custom built computer she bought a couple years ago off of eBay.

She was told that this computer came with a full retail version of Windows XP.  Unfortunately, this was not the case. It was a pirated version.

I needed to reinstall XP on this computer, which is when I realized something was fishy.

So she went out last week and bought a full OEM version of XP Professional w/ SP2, since that was what probably should have been installed with the computer to begin with. (This was a completely sealed OEM disc, with a COA, hologram on the disc, sticker included with a valid Product Key and everything).

Unfortunately, this disc (which I believe is fairly old) will not install from boot up. I've tried over a dozen times, and it simply cannot load the Setup file (I've researched the handful of various errors it reports, which all suggest a hardware incompatibility, bad memory, CD drive going too fast, etc..., and I've tried swapping out the memory, I've swapped out the CD drive, I've tried setting the CD Drive to PIO rather than DMA. Nothing helps).

I had another XP Professional disc lying around (a Dell branded one), and just to see what would happen, I tried to do a clean install with this Dell disc. It work perfectly fine (I suspect the Dell disc was more recent and could support the hardware of this particular computer.

But obviously, I can't activate it.

I have tried to change the Product Key, so I can use the one she just purchased, but since it is an OEM Product Key, Windows won't accept it (since the install was done with a Branded CD).

I have called Microsoft half a dozen times, and they have verified that her purchased OEM Product Key IS valid.

So how can I get her up and running? Her machine won't install XP from this OEM disc she just purchased.

Is there any way to change the Branded installation (which worked fine) from "Branded" to "OEM" so that she can use her completely valid Product Key?

Thank you for your time.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hello TommyJ1112,

I can't say for sure since I have not had occasion to do this exact thing, but the PK Updater http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 should be able to change the Dell deployment PK to the actual PK on the CoA.  Unless of course the PK on the CoA is counterfeit......

But the fact that you can't boot the computer with a genuine original XP CD makes me wonder about whether it's genuine or not.  Does it have "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left quadrant of the CD?  Is the hologram embeddind in the plastic of the CD or is it a thin label on the top surface?  If possible, navigate to the \i386 folder of the CD and locate the setupp.ini file, which is a small text file with two sections.  Copy and post the second section.

By what method did you try to change the product key?

Some ideas on how to work with what you have:

1.  Simply copy the original CD and try installing from the copy.  Sometimes factory pressed CDs (which normally are the most reliable) do occasionally have defects.  Quite often making a copy fixes the defects because the better CD burning programs seem to have pretty good error correction capabilities.

2.  Now that XP is installed, have you tried doing a repair reinstallation with the original CD?  If the computer can read it now, then the repair process will give you an opportunity to enter a new Product Key.

3.  Make a new working CD getting either or both CDs up to SP3.  SP3 changes to Setup allow installaton to go forward withut entering a Product Key.  So if you can get the Dell CD up to SP3, complete installation without entering a Product Key, then before you activate, enter the PK on the CoA.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hello TommyJ1112,

I can't say for sure since I have not had occasion to do this exact thing, but the PK Updater http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 should be able to change the Dell deployment PK to the actual PK on the CoA.  Unless of course the PK on the CoA is counterfeit......

But the fact that you can't boot the computer with a genuine original XP CD makes me wonder about whether it's genuine or not.  Does it have "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left quadrant of the CD?  Is the hologram embeddind in the plastic of the CD or is it a thin label on the top surface?  If possible, navigate to the \i386 folder of the CD and locate the setupp.ini file, which is a small text file with two sections.  Copy and post the second section.

By what method did you try to change the product key?

Some ideas on how to work with what you have:

1.  Simply copy the original CD and try installing from the copy.  Sometimes factory pressed CDs (which normally are the most reliable) do occasionally have defects.  Quite often making a copy fixes the defects because the better CD burning programs seem to have pretty good error correction capabilities.

2.  Now that XP is installed, have you tried doing a repair reinstallation with the original CD?  If the computer can read it now, then the repair process will give you an opportunity to enter a new Product Key.

3.  Make a new working CD getting either or both CDs up to SP3.  SP3 changes to Setup allow installaton to go forward withut entering a Product Key.  So if you can get the Dell CD up to SP3, complete installation without entering a Product Key, then before you activate, enter the PK on the CoA.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

The PK Updater did not work. It said that my product key was invalid for my system type.

However, I tried your suggestion of burning a copy of the original CD, and was able to successfully install from that!

Everything looked good, it accepted my product key, but when I tried to run a Windows Update, it said my product key was invalid! (Which I find somewhat strange, since when I called Microsoft, they ran a check on my Product Key, and it reported as being valid.)

After reading through some of the recent threads on this forum, I am beginning to wonder if the disc my friend recently purchased falls into the "High Quality Counterfit" category.

* The disc does say "For distribution with a new PC only".
    *I located the setuppp.ini file on the disc, and the second line reads as follows: Pid=55274270
    * I ran the MGAdiag.exe tool, here is its report:

========
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KKCJR-7MBTK-6CKY6
    Windows Product Key Hash: JSd0DlxzI5El4uCtQyC7pIN3XVo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-9430183-23310
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {6BED4CDB-5340-4D8A-A63A-8622C0FA4C24}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{6BED4CDB-5340-4D8A-A63A-8622C0FA4C24}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-6CKY6</PKey><PID>55274-640-9430183-23310</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-299502267-1935655697-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ECS</Manufacturer><Model>PT890T-A</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080013 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20071219000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DE73380701842077</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 197BC:Elitegroup Computer Systems Co Ltd|13F1B:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

=======

I notice that under license type, it is listed as "volume". Hmmm. Not a good sign, is it?

How do you think I should proceed?

Thanks again for all of your time.
    -Tom

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Hello TommyJ1112,

Whenever you see a CD that is trying to look like an OEM CD (it has "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left quadrant) but that installs a Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro, you have to instantly cast suspicion on the CD.  The double-whammy is the PID= value having that "270" as the last three characters and not "OEM" as a true OEM CD would have.

I think that explains why the PK Updater would not work, it is designed to change Volume installations to OEM, rather than the other way around, which is what you were inadvertently attempting, that is changing an OEM installation (the Dell)  to a Volume installation (the bogus OEM CD).

Go ahead and use the WGA messaging you are seeing to walk you thru preparation and submission of the Piracy report and the submission of your materials for analysis and possible free replacement if found to be "high quality" counterfeits.

When you get a resolution (about 4-6 weeks) on the submission, please come back here and let us know the final disposition.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:51 AM
  • OK, I have filled out the report and have sent everything off to the WGA team. I'll let you know when I get a response from them. Thanks for all of your advice!
    Friday, July 24, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Hello TommyJ1112,

You're welcome!

Another poster just reported back that the materials they sent in were HQ counterfeits and they received free replacements from MS.  It was about 3 weeks between mailing the bogus materials out and receiving their Genuine replacement.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Microst approved my submission, and I received my Genuine Advantage kit on Saturday (remarkably fast turn-around time).

I was able to get that installed and activated with no problems. So thanks again for walking me through this process.

However I have been having problems with Windows Update (or Microsoft Update). I was able to get a few updates to install (IE 8, for example), but the vast majority will initiate the download screen, hang for a few seconds while it initiates the download, then reports that the download has failed. Error Code: 0x80093102

I've done a little research on this error code, and the only suggestions I've come across are to 1.) make sure you have the lastest windows update software installed... which I do, and 2.) make sure to register the Wups2.dll file, which I have done.

I'm not really sure where to do next.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Hi TommyJ1112,

Wow that was fast!  I really enjoy it when people come back to tell us that everything worked "according to plan." :-)

Lately I have been using Dial-a-Fix v0.60 http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#WU.2FWUAU to iron out Windows Update problems and I am finding that it works remarkably well most of the time.

Download it, try it, and post back to let us know if it worked for you.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Hi,
    Unfortunately, no luck with Dial-a-fix. It ran fine, though it did display a dialog box that it didn't recognize my version of IE. But I'm still getting the same results. (I should also add that when I attempt to download SP3 via Windows Update, I get as far as accepting the Terms of Agreement, before it reports that the download fails.)

I'm beginning to wonder if IE8 is causing some of the problem, as I was able to get some of the Windows Updates before IE8 installed itself. Maybe it installed out of sequence? I'm grasping, I know :-).
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Hi TommyJ1112,

It sounds like you already tried the steps in this MS KB:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/943144  which are reregister the file and install the latest WU client.  Did you stop and start the WU service before reregistering the Wups2.dll file?

Here's the T/S KB for SP3:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

There's not much more I can tell you except to scour the posts in the WU newsgroup:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

There are issues with IE8 and XP SP3 depending upon whether you installed IE8 as a Beta and the order of installation, discussed here:  http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

Maybe the path of least resistance is to uninstall IE8, try SP3 once again and if it flies, pick up IE8 after SP3 is in.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hi Dan,

I ended up wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS to try again. This time I made sure that I got all of the other critical updates installed before installing IE8.

Luckily, this worked! After installing IE8, I went back into to Windows Update, and it found two more updates, and it installed those with no trouble. (whether that was the problem before, or if it was just one of those weird things that sometimes happens, I don't know)

So everything seems to be working now!

Thanks again for all of your time and guidance!
    Friday, August 7, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Hello TommyJ1112,

Sounds like it put up a fight but you were able to whip it into shape! :-)

You're welcome and Good Luck!
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:21 PM