Will windows 7 ultimate (32 bit) work in laptop with intel core i5 2410m? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am planning to buy a new dell xps 15 laptop which is configured as intel core i5 2410m processor,4GB RAM,500GB HDD (7200 rpm) and with a pre installed OS of Windows 7 professional(64 bit).Can I install my Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) OS in this laptop?If yes will all my 32 bit softwares and RAD tools(like Visual studio 2008,2010 and SQL server 2008) work in  this OS(I mean win 7 ultimate (32bit)).
    If Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) OS cannot be installed and if windows 7 professional(64 bit) is installed initially by dell then will all my 32 bit softwares which I mentioned above work in this 64 bit OS?
    I asked Dell this question and they have told me that they are not sure about it and suggested me to contact microsoft.
    So hope you answer my question.
    • Moved by Jie Bao Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:51 AM (From:Application Compatibility for Windows Development)
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, this forum is a development forum and for the Windows Software Development Compatibility issue, not for installation and software usage. Please post your question on the Microsoft Answer Forums, that can help you to get the answer: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_install  

On the other hand, in my opinion, we can install the 32-bit Windows OS on a x64 CPU, and all 32-bit should be OK in this 32-bit OS.

And if you choose to use 64-bit OS, of course, your 32-bit application still can run in it. It is compatible.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:50 AM