Can I delete duplicates pictures, emails, etc using sync toy? RRS feed

• Question

• Each time I get a new computer, with a larger hard drive, it is too easy for me to just copy all my data from the old computer and then add new stuff as I get it.  Thus I have multiple copies of pictures, old emails, etc., some of which have the same name but located in different file folders.  Can I delete duplicates?  How do I deternime which folder to keep what I save in?  Some of the files are on my C:\ drive while most of the data resides on a NAS.  My goal, if it makes sense, is to get all the information onto the C:\ drive to access it faster and to keep backups and hopefully also a clone which I could restore from when I have a major problem with my computer or (replace it).  What cloning program would you suggest.  For that matter, is what I am trying to do possible?  I am currently using Vista on my desktop computer and a D-Link NAS.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:00 AM

Answers

• No, SyncToy will NOT help you to delete redundant copies in different folders or subfolder. You will in charge of decision which one should be keept or not.

But with your problem, I think you can use SyncToy to figure out a solution.
    If all of these redundant copies have the same names, you can creat multiple folder pairs, the left folders are defferent, but the right folders are exactly the same one, all of the folder pairs' action configured as **echo**. At last in the right side, you will have 1 folder with all of your files distinct.

Such as folder pair 1:  left path 1 --> right path 1;
                 folder pair 2:  left path 2 --> right path 1;
                 folder pair 3:  left path 3 --> right path 1;

This just a suggestion, you may make a few try to verify if it is what you want.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Monday, December 14, 2009 11:49 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:43 AM

All replies

• No, SyncToy will NOT help you to delete redundant copies in different folders or subfolder. You will in charge of decision which one should be keept or not.

But with your problem, I think you can use SyncToy to figure out a solution.
    If all of these redundant copies have the same names, you can creat multiple folder pairs, the left folders are defferent, but the right folders are exactly the same one, all of the folder pairs' action configured as **echo**. At last in the right side, you will have 1 folder with all of your files distinct.

Such as folder pair 1:  left path 1 --> right path 1;
                 folder pair 2:  left path 2 --> right path 1;
                 folder pair 3:  left path 3 --> right path 1;

This just a suggestion, you may make a few try to verify if it is what you want.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Monday, December 14, 2009 11:49 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:43 AM
  • I use Advanced Duplicate Finder   to find and delete duplicates. Unlike other narrow focused programs that find only files with certain extension, it can identify identical content, empty files, detect similar names and file size. Works great for me, very helpful application.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:12 PM
  • hi ,

try acronis software , great for cloning

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/

the most reliable back up so far , and no errors since the start (!)

have a nice day and happy seasonal greetinsg
    [url]www.microsoft.com/securityDownload and install the security updates from Microsoft Update[/url]
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:44 PM