Can I uninstall or disable windows media center connector? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I wish to uninstall or disable "windows media center connector" not to be confused with the connector software for connecting to the WHS. This program seems to be geared twards windows home server because it just hogs my network connection forever finding media files of music, video, pictures, and recorded tv. I would like to disable this but dont know how or uninstall it I accidently installed it thinking it was something else one day and didnt realize what it was or what it was going to do after i installed it. I cant find it anywhere in my programs list on my computer or the WHS. Closest thing i can find is a service called "Windows Media PLayer Network Sharing Service" Description: Shares Windows Media PLayer libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play. I have set the startup type for this service to MANUAL and STOPPED the service but it seems to come back to life possibly after a reboot. any help would be appreciated.

Also it only happens when I open the WMP 11 window. It starts downloading every pice of media i have on the home server or at least adding it to the library in the WMP 11 I would like to stop this action.

Running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

I read this post but hoping someone could elaborate a little maybe http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/4343c801-d6be-4e67-8b7c-2dbf7a630b5d
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hello, I wish to uninstall or disable "windows media center connector" not to be confused with the connector software for connecting to the WHS. This program seems to be geared twards windows home server because it just hogs my network connection forever finding media files of music, video, pictures, and recorded tv. I would like to disable this but dont know how or uninstall it I accidently installed it thinking it was something else one day and didnt realize what it was or what it was going to do after i installed it. I cant find it anywhere in my programs list on my computer or the WHS. Closest thing i can find is a service called "Windows Media PLayer Network Sharing Service" Description: Shares Windows Media PLayer libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play. I have set the startup type for this service to MANUAL and STOPPED the service but it seems to come back to life possibly after a reboot. any help would be appreciated.

Also it only happens when I open the WMP 11 window. It starts downloading every pice of media i have on the home server or at least adding it to the library in the WMP 11 I would like to stop this action.

I read this post but hoping someone could elaborate a little maybe http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/4343c801-d6be-4e67-8b7c-2dbf7a630b5d

I got it right infront of my face on the console > settings > Windows Media Center : select none for all things you want shared or not shared.
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

I got it right infront of my face on the console > settings > Windows Media Center : select none for all things you want shared or not shared.
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:10 PM
  • ... it just hogs my network connection forever finding media files of music, video, pictures, and recorded tv.

As you found out you can disable this. But when enabled once all media is índexed network activity will settle down. Beeing on a Gigabit connection I generally I hardly noticed any network load from media center.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:18 PM