antivirus folder exclusions... RRS feed

• Question

• After noticing a full virus scan (Avast) of my WHS was taking a ridiculously long time I poked around and found it was scanning everything twice.  It was scanning the D:\DE\Shares and the D:\Shares.  It is my understanding that the DE folders are for the Drive Extender software and that the D:\Shares is essentially a pointer to the actual data within the DE folders.  Is it safe for me to assume that I can exclude the DE\Shares folder?  It would seem as long as it's scanning D:\Shares it would scan all data, and just the once.
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:47 PM

All replies

• I would (do, I use Avast for Windows Home Server) let it scan both. There are circumstances which can result in files in D:\shares\etc. rather than just tombstones. But you shouldn't need to do frequent full scans on your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Ken!

I have no problem letting it scan both, because as you said, full scans will be rather infrequent. 

However, I am still curious and trying to figure the ins and outs of WHS... You say there could be actual data along-side with tombstones in D:\Shares\*, which makes sense.  But wouldn't that mean it is safe to assume that all data would essentially be located in said folder, and doing a scan of it would cover everything?  Or is the virus scanner going to scan the tombstone itself rather than wherever the data is actually residing?

Also, this may better be served asking in it's own thread but I will start here anyways... I am curious as to how WHS can "talk" to my workstation across the network?  It is my understanding that for Windows computers to network they have to be in the same domain, workgroup, or now the new homegroup.  Homegroups were disabled on my Win7 box and there are no domains in WHS, which leads me to think it's workgroups.  I have since changed the server to my own workgroup (out of habit) but when I first setup the WHS it was in it's own/different workgroup.  I am just curious as to what mechanism was in place that allowed me to network with the server.

Thanks again,

Greg

Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:23 PM