Connecting SQL Server Behind firewall using DbPeerSyncProvider RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there any known issue to connect SqlServer behind firewall using Peer to Peer Syncronization provider.

Thanks.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 8:49 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, February 4, 2008 5:54 PM

Answers

• Actually i realize the thread title is wrong.  I have also added other thread Wcf & DBpeersyncprovider.

Inorder to open Sqlserver behind firewall we need to host web services or wcf (most hosting companies dont let connect us thru the direct server connections) .  I have tested this using DbPeerSyncProvider & WCF.  Hence the localproxy will be your local sever (dev or staging) and remote proxy on firewall server and remote server proxy will be your web service or Wcf.  It worked.

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:34 AM

All replies

• peer provider only opens the sqlconnection to the sql server. so you need to config your server to allow this.

thanks

yunwen

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:24 AM
  • Please at least try to connect the SQL Server behind the firewall, using SQLCMD.exe.  If SQLCMD works, then P2P Sync provider should work.

If Windows Internel Firewall service is on any machine, please try to open port TCP1433 and UDP1434.  Also make sure the Sqlserver allows remote connection through TCP from its configuration manager.  If SQL server is named instance, please make sure the SQL Server Browser service is also running.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:22 PM
    Answerer
  • None of the customers let us open the connection this way(This is the big security issue).  Is there any other way to perform the sync in this mode.

Do you have any time availability when this framework released for RTM?

Thanks.

Udai.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:41 PM
  • If we do not open port on firewall, how could we make SQL connection?

Thanks,

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:04 AM
    Answerer
  • Actually i realize the thread title is wrong.  I have also added other thread Wcf & DBpeersyncprovider.

Inorder to open Sqlserver behind firewall we need to host web services or wcf (most hosting companies dont let connect us thru the direct server connections) .  I have tested this using DbPeerSyncProvider & WCF.  Hence the localproxy will be your local sever (dev or staging) and remote proxy on firewall server and remote server proxy will be your web service or Wcf.  It worked.

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:34 AM