Linux machines @ WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone tried connecting a Linux machine to WHS?

I'm running Slackware on my primary machine and am having limited success at best getting the two (Slack & WHS) to play nice.

Any ideas?
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:37 PM

Answers

• You should be able to connect to the network shares from Linux. WHS exposes them as standard SMB shares. You'll have to supply credentials that are allowed access to the share in the standard way from your Linux box.

You won't be able to use any of the more advanced features, however.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:05 PM

All replies

•  Hammer72 wrote:
    I'm running Slackware on my primary machine and am having limited success at best getting the two (Slack & WHS) to play nice.

What are you trying to achieve? I don't think it will ever be possible to run the connector service on linux. At best you should be able to browse the WHS shares from linux with samba. Also I bet you can install the services for linux on the WHS machine. This way you can export all the shares as NFS. But not sure what else do you expect...

Erik

Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:46 PM
  • You should be able to connect to the network shares from Linux. WHS exposes them as standard SMB shares. You'll have to supply credentials that are allowed access to the share in the standard way from your Linux box.

You won't be able to use any of the more advanced features, however.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Ken - Does  that mean you are able to read and write to the WHS share?

Mike
    Friday, June 8, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Given appropriate permissions, yes, I think you should be able to write to the shares. I don't use Linux, but I can't think of any reason other than a credentials issue (which is going to be on the Linux side) why it wouldn't work, considering that Macs can write to WHS shares (I'm told; no Mac either Smile ).
    Friday, June 8, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Going on personal experience I was able to connect to WHS with both my Linux machine and my Mac. With the Mac I just connected by pointing it to the appropriate SMB share. With my Ubuntu Linux (version 7.04) machine I just navigate in through the network share just like in Windows. You have to have an account that has read/write access to write to the shares.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 12:19 AM
  •  Mike Zemina wrote:
    Ken - Does that mean you are able to read and write to the WHS share?

Mike

I can read and write to my WHS shares from my Ubuntu machines no problem.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 4:08 AM
  • As far as I know, Ubuntu doesn't use a firewall. Therefore it is easy in Ubuntu to share your shared maps on windows computers. This is also the case in Mandriva, Knoppix, Puppy and for freespire/linspire lindows ;-) distributions. There policy is that it is "not needed for Linux" (I didn't say that). For Fedora and Suse you have to configure your firewall. I do not know this have to be done for Slackware but I think you have to.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 9:56 PM