Upgrading hardware on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there are any limitations on WHS to upgrade hardware? Right now I have a VIA EPIA board, but I might switch to an Intel Atom board if one comes out with 4xSATA and Gigabit LAN.

Rumor has it that Vista has limitations on switching out hardware - is this also true with WHS?
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 8:39 PM

Answers

• Strictly speaking, upgrading hardware is against the EULA. You're allowed to replace failed hardware, but only with identical or manufacturer's recommended replacement gear.

That said, you would need to reinstall Windows Home Server, obviously; you're changing too much at once to rely on it to be stable afterward. You'll have to reactivate as a result, but you should be able to do that. At worst, you'll use phone activation and tell them that you had to replace your motherboard. As long as the software isn't running on more than one server, you shouldn't have any real problem.
    • Marked as answer by Troels Larsen Monday, October 6, 2008 10:20 AM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:26 PM
  •  TroelsL wrote:
    Does anyone know if there are any limitations on WHS to upgrade hardware? Right now I have a VIA EPIA board, but I might switch to an Intel Atom board if one comes out with 4xSATA and Gigabit LAN.

Rumor has it that Vista has limitations on switching out hardware - is this also true with WHS?

To clarify what Ken said, OEM licensing (whether Vista/WHS/XP or anything else) is "married" to the motherboard.  That's the one part of a computer that upgrading requires a new license (unless the mobo failed).  (Everything else can be upgraded freely.)

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:44 AM

All replies

• Strictly speaking, upgrading hardware is against the EULA. You're allowed to replace failed hardware, but only with identical or manufacturer's recommended replacement gear.

That said, you would need to reinstall Windows Home Server, obviously; you're changing too much at once to rely on it to be stable afterward. You'll have to reactivate as a result, but you should be able to do that. At worst, you'll use phone activation and tell them that you had to replace your motherboard. As long as the software isn't running on more than one server, you shouldn't have any real problem.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:26 PM
  •  TroelsL wrote:
    Does anyone know if there are any limitations on WHS to upgrade hardware? Right now I have a VIA EPIA board, but I might switch to an Intel Atom board if one comes out with 4xSATA and Gigabit LAN.

To clarify what Ken said, OEM licensing (whether Vista/WHS/XP or anything else) is "married" to the motherboard.  That's the one part of a computer that upgrading requires a new license (unless the mobo failed).  (Everything else can be upgraded freely.)

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:44 AM