none
Why the heck I cannot post to the forums anymore?

Question

• When trying to post to a forum I get:

Whats that? Remove me from that list.

Regards,

Thorsten

Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:51 PM

Answers

• The spam filter has automatically flagged it for some reason. I'd send an email with a link to forums admins fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 9:42 PM

All replies

• When trying to post in a forum I get:

Remove me from that list.

Regards,

Thorsten

Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:53 PM
  • The spam filter has automatically flagged it for some reason. I'd send an email with a link to forums admins fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 9:42 PM
  • Thanks!

Regards,

Thorsten

Saturday, March 26, 2016 10:46 PM
  • You're welcome.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:30 PM
  • I had the same yesterday, now it looks resolved without any action on my part.

-- pa

Sunday, March 27, 2016 11:34 AM
  • I think they were trying to improve the spam filter, and it flagged many posts as spam inappropriately. I believe they reversed their update to the filter, then admins went back and undeleted posts deleted and removed the abusive flags.

I still believe that trying to fight the recent flood of spam with a filter is futile. This may be what they were trying to do.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Sunday, March 27, 2016 12:05 PM

• I still believe that trying to fight the recent flood of spam with a filter is futile. This may be what they were trying to do.

I think, using a filter may really help, but this has to be kind of an intelligent filter that also respects the amount of participation of the users etc, maybe using some kind of machine learning or so for the filter(s)...

Yes, my issue was resolved very quickly yesterday, so thanks again to the moderators.

Regards,

Thorsten

Sunday, March 27, 2016 9:13 PM
  • I think they were trying to improve the spam filter, and it flagged many posts as spam inappropriately. I believe they reversed their update to the filter, then admins went back and undeleted posts deleted and removed the abusive flags.

I still believe that trying to fight the recent flood of spam with a filter is futile. This may be what they were trying to do.

They must have rolled back any changes, the front page of the forum is a complete mess again.

They could save themselves some grief and just lock the few forums these spambots are abusing. It's not like there'd be any use to those forums right now anyway.

Monday, March 28, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Recently spam has been posted in this forum, "Forum Issues", where I am moderator. I have been flagging it abusive, then deleting it. As moderator I can view deleted posts and see who flagged each abusive and deleted it. Today I checked and noticed that "New Thread Spam Filter" had deleted a few posts. I counted 3 out of 20 posts deleted by this entity, the rest I deleted more than 2 hours later.

There is a difference between the ones I deleted and the ones caught by the spam filter. If the "payload" (which is a web address) is in normal text, then the spam filter catches it, even in the Korean trash. The "payload" in this case is "ABAM18.NET" (there are many other similar ones, like "bamwar15.com", etc). Most of the spam, however, has the payload obscured so that is not recognized by software.

In the cases in the image below the payload is separated by slashes or spaces, the "8" character is sightly elevated, the period is a tiny "+". I have seen many others where the characters are separated by braces, math integral signs, etc. Others where the letter "E" is backwards, the letter "A" upside down, the letter "O" is a Greek theta or a circle with a dot in the middle, and many other variations. My stupid human brain sees it immediately, but software would need constant update to handle all the variations.

The screen shot below shows the titles of recently deleted threads in this forum. The text of the post is similar, just repeated many times. Of the ones visible I deleted all but 2 near the bottom, the ones with "ABAM18.NET" in normal text. My point is that it is futile to attempt to code software to detect this spam. The variations are unlimited. Even if you succeeded now, the filter would need constant update as the spammers find other ways to hide the "payload". Far easier and more reliable to just ban any user with 0 points that posts 10 or more times in less than 20 minutes. Just don't tell anyone what the criterial is.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:50 PM
  • Someone continues to SPAM this forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:53 AM