Vista can go to sleep in the middle of a tune up RRS feed

• General discussion

• This happened to me today, plugged laptop in and started a tune up, Vista went to sleep, right in the middle of disk defrag. This has to be a bug, there is no way a system should be allowed to sleep in the middle of disk critical task like defrag.

Using Vista SP1, once computer came out of sleep, disk defrag appears to be stalled, so I cancelled it.

OneCare, should either stop computer from sleeping during a tune-up, and it should know that the laptop is plugged in so no need to sleep. And if laptop is not plugged in should pause or cancel before going to sleep, or recommend ideally recommend that the user plugs in their laptop before attempting a system tune up.

Also I agress with many users that an option to turn off disk defrag and exclude from tune-up is needed.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 12:47 PM

All replies

• It would seem to me that this would be a Vista bug, but the suggestion to have OneCare somehow turn off Sleep while a Tune-up is running sounds reasonable. I don't know if that's possible, though.

Thanks for reporting this. What is the length of time you have specified to have the PC enter Sleep after inactivity?

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 4:26 PM
  • I am having the same problem, I start a manual defrag after I moved a bunch of files to a server and it goes to sleep about 1 or 2hrs after starting it.  When I resume the machine it looks like defrag is running

Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:55 AM