none
Server performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I've read a number of posts on here about buying the cheapest hardware (within reason) as the WHS is just for storage. I can see the point of this but there are some cases when teh server might need a bit more punch.

In my set up I have 2 media Centers that record (one with 2 tuners), another client Media Center, a desktop PC and an xbox 360.

It is fairly likely that I will be recording 3 TV programs at once and be watching 2 programs.

It is possible (although not that likely) that I will be recording 3 shows, watching 3 shows, listening to music on the xbox, listening to music on the desktop and workign with files in some way on the desktop.

That is a LOT of disk activity. In my server at the moment I have a RAID with data striping set up to try to improve disk performance.

Is WHS set up to be able to cope with these high demands? What can I do to help this (I have gigabit LAN).
    I have 6 disks in my server which will all be added to the storage pool when I move to WHS.

Thanks.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 4:02 PM

All replies

• No Thoughts on this?
    <bump>

Smile
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:05 PM
  • I don't think the min specs would handle a few pc's moving files around, streaming or backing up.

I would get:-

Athlon 64 3200(2GHZ) or better(dual core), Intel Core2duo;

1 GB ram or better;

Gigabit on the network, all devices, with jumbo frames enabled;

video min spec; and

SATA 2 drives.

I suspect performance of WHS will improve with RTM. If there is any debug code, it will be removed.

Just my 2 cents......

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I think you'r going to have trouble even on gigabit, with 6 video streams and 2 audio streams running, plus backups, balancing and duplication!

Colin

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:14 PM