Where are my synced files? RRS feed

• Question

• This may be a very basic question, but where are my synced files?  Once I have added a device (in this case a remote PC - I've already set up Live Mesh on the PC that has all the original files), Live Mesh dumps a lot of folder shortcuts on my desktop that don't seem to do anything.  There is apparently a Live Mesh folder in Users, but I can't find or access it using Windows Explorer or any program.  Say I'm using Word.  How do I save Word files to the synced folder?
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:22 AM

Answers

• When you see a light-blue "Shortcut" mesh folder, it serves as a link to the Live Mesh desktop but isn't synced to your local machine.

Clicking on the shortcut will allow you to associate it with a folder on your local machine.  After you've done so successfully, it will appear as a darker blue folder without the "shortcut".

Once you have it all set up like that, you can use files in the synced folders just like you would with any other folder.

Keep in mind that to avoid conflicts, it's a good idea to get in the habit of closing files when you're done working on them.

I find that with Mesh I end up using the "Recent Documents" features of Windows to gain quick access to the Meshed documents I edit frequently.

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:58 PM

All replies

• When you see a light-blue "Shortcut" mesh folder, it serves as a link to the Live Mesh desktop but isn't synced to your local machine.

Clicking on the shortcut will allow you to associate it with a folder on your local machine.  After you've done so successfully, it will appear as a darker blue folder without the "shortcut".

Once you have it all set up like that, you can use files in the synced folders just like you would with any other folder.

Keep in mind that to avoid conflicts, it's a good idea to get in the habit of closing files when you're done working on them.

I find that with Mesh I end up using the "Recent Documents" features of Windows to gain quick access to the Meshed documents I edit frequently.

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:58 PM
  • To expand on what Bleak Morn has answered, those light blue folder shortcuts are the offered Live Mesh folders from the Live Desktop or other devices. Nothing will sync to the device from the Mesh until you accept those shortcuts. If you click the shortcut and then click OK, the shortcut becomes a physical folder on your Desktop of that PC. If you click it and then click Browse, you can point to an already existing folder on the PC and "merge" the Mesh folder with the local folder.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:41 PM