HP Data Vault EX510 WHS Serious disk issue Cannot remove drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a HP Data Vault EX510 with 4x1.6TB disks. I currently have a serious issue in that I cannot remove one of the disks.

I use the device as purely a NAS server files and folders. Until 2 days ago all was well then I noticed it was slow to respond on my Media client. On logging into the server the WHS Console showed that a number of my shared folders were showing as yellow failing. All the drives at this point were showing green healthy.

I looked at the network tab and could see some file conflicts so followed various online articles at MS saying to chkntfs and run chkdsk. I shut down all clients using the server and rebooted and then used  Ken Warrens article to check all of my drives. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0ceeThis took over a day and seemed to go OK and correct some errors. However in the event manager the c:/fs/1ID is showing as Event ID 55 The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:/fs/1ID.

Obviously I have already done that twice now and it cannot access this drive. I attached a new 2TB HDD on the esata port to enure there was plently of storage available. However when I go tot he server storage tab it is stuck on calculating available space on the right hand side and green bar just keeps cycling round.

I cannot remove the drive (bay2) from the storage pool as it days there is not enough room available. I seem to be stuck in a loop. I cannot remove the drive and the Sever storage tab is stuck on calculating space. Is there some way to rebuild/recreate the c:/fs/1ID mount point or some way to get the failing drive out of the pool manually.I really need some help as I have runout of stuff from online resources that I can find.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony

• Edited by Antonical Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:23 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:45 PM

All replies

• The drive has failed. The way to you remove it from the storage pool is to physically disconnect it, then remove the "missing" drive from server storage.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Ken,

Many thanks. I will try this tonight. Just managed to get mos tof my data of this server before pulling any drives.

Do you know if WHS supports 4K block sizes? I have 2 new 2TB WD RED drives to put in but they use the new 4K standard.

Cheers

Anthony

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Do you know if WHS supports 4K block sizes? I have 2 new 2TB WD RED drives to put in but they use the new 4K standard.
    No, it doesn't. If you can, jumper the drive. If you can't, don't use it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:42 AM