Subscription NOT expired RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had a trial version that was expired, I then purchased a retail version.

I uninstalled and then downloaded OneCare (because I needed to changes the ID)

I entered the 25 digit code and all was well, until I turned on my computer the next day.

Now it tells me my subscription is expired.  When I log into my account it shows my

"enabled" and that I expire in FRB 2009.  When I click on "About Windows Live Care" under

help on mdesk top, it shows the correct email account.  So why will is it showing me expired???

My date/time is correct, although my battery is dead, so evertime I turn the computer on I have to reset

the date/time.

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:13 AM

Answers

• I suspect it is due to the fact that when OneCare starts, it sees the incorrect date and time and sets the warning, changing the PC date after boot and not rebooting, doesn't let it reset this warning.

What battery is dead? The CMOS battery? You can usually get that replaced fairly inexpensively unless it is a laptop.

You've already checked and confirmed the common information, so all that remains is to either replace the battery or contact support to confirm my suspicion.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:50 PM

All replies

• I suspect it is due to the fact that when OneCare starts, it sees the incorrect date and time and sets the warning, changing the PC date after boot and not rebooting, doesn't let it reset this warning.

What battery is dead? The CMOS battery? You can usually get that replaced fairly inexpensively unless it is a laptop.

You've already checked and confirmed the common information, so all that remains is to either replace the battery or contact support to confirm my suspicion.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Stephen,

Thank you for your help.  I don't know what the battery name is, but it's the little battery that keeps the time when you turn off power to your pc.  Everytime I turn off my pc, I turn off the power strip too and then everytime I turn it back on I have to reset the date/time.  Last night I left the powerstrip on and today the date/time was correct and so was the Onecare.  I will have the battery replaced soon.

Thank you again for your help.

Pat

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:26 PM
  • That would be the CMOS battery - "Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor" - which is where information is retained for your PC hardware. If the battery is low, the clock can't keep time and the settings need to be reconfigured at power up, usually automatically.

Until you replace this battery, simply leave the power strip on so that the PC can receive a trickle of juice. :-)

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

-steve 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:18 PM