bad restore RRS feed

• Question

• First timer, I have ran a restore form an external hard drive. When restore was complete it had lost all my music.  Folder were all there but empty. Photos and doc are fine. Can anyone help?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:12 AM

Answers

• If the original files were on an external drive, OneCare did not back them up. OneCare only backs up Internal drives.

When you create the backup plan on OneCare, it will let you configure file types and also exclude a location to check for files to be backed up. If you selected to add an external disk to the plan as a source, OneCare advised that this was not supported in v1.6. In v2.0 there is no "add" function, so you will see that only files on the internal drives are backed up.

-steve

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:23 PM

All replies

• What type of Music files were they and was Music included in the selection criteria for the backup?

Where were the Music files stored originally what drive and folder?

Is it possible that they were originally in another folder?

You may want to contact support for help - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:41 PM
  •  

Most were wav files. some were MP3. They were in subfolders. strored on a Maxtor external hard drive. The sub folders that I had catorgorized them in were still there, with titles , ie. folder marked 'The Beatles' , the 'Dave Clark Five' etc. were still existing but with no wave files or ANY kind of files inside.  I still have the backed up file on my external they may be in it but unable to open specific files.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 2:13 AM
  • If the original files were on an external drive, OneCare did not back them up. OneCare only backs up Internal drives.

When you create the backup plan on OneCare, it will let you configure file types and also exclude a location to check for files to be backed up. If you selected to add an external disk to the plan as a source, OneCare advised that this was not supported in v1.6. In v2.0 there is no "add" function, so you will see that only files on the internal drives are backed up.

-steve

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:23 PM
  • When I check my external drive I find my 'one care backup' I can click thru to find 'files' and 'catalogs'.  In the 'files' folder i find many Zip files. that have the actual wav file in them. In fact if i right click to 'explore', i can play them on the windows media player.  Now i dont yet know if i can individually save such a song. If i could it would take way too long to do them one at a time.  At any rate i know that the songs have been saved. Why did they not restore to the C drive? I cant figure that out yet. Who can/

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:52 AM
  • Repeat the restore process and select to perform a custom restore, and select specific files to restore by using the search function when the list of available files appears. The wizard should walk you through that.

I can't tell you why they were not restored, but perhaps they have been restored to a different folder. Have you searched for the specific file names using Search in Windows Explorer on the C:\ drive?

-steve

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Hi, I'm a first timer too.  Your problem sounds similar to something that happended to me.  It turned out some of my folders were hidden, so as soon as I unhid them my files revealed themselves.  Sorry if this suggestion isn't of any help.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:33 AM