CAN NOT REMOVE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to add an external USB 500GB drive to my HP Media Smart Server. However, I got the error message "Hard Drive Initialization Failed : The Wizard was unable to connect a volume on the hard drive". I retried several times with the same result. The status in the Console was "not added". I unplugged the drive from the Server and I got a warning that Network Heath is at risk and I saw that the status of the External Drive changed to "Missing". I then plugged back the drive to try to Remove the drive from the server (remember it was not added, so this is why I did not try to Remove him in the first place) and the status of the drive changed to "Unhealthy". It does not offer an option to repair it and when I try to Remove it I get the crazy message "There is not enough remaining space on your home server to safely remove the hard drive" This is nuts because I have 3,84 Terrabytes available space and there is absolutely nothing on the external hard drive since it was never even initialized. How on earth can I solve this? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:31 AM

Answers

• Please submit a bug on Connect. Include server logs collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit.

I would hold off on Olaf's suggestion; if Windows Home Server moved anything to the disk in question you'll lose it when you try that. And if you get to that point, I think you will have to reinstall WHS anyway; I can't see where cleaning the disk is going to change anything on the server.

Instead I would try disconnecting the drive and removing it from the server in the console. (In that order.) You may see warnings about file loss; I think you're going to have to ignore those for the time being. Once the drive has been removed from the server (nothing shows in the console), connect it to some other computer and look in the folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares. (The DE folder is hidden.) Any files you find there will be the files that you were warned about previously. If you find files, copy them back to your server's shares, in the appropriate locations.

You may also have problems with backups afterward, if components of the backup database were on that drive. If this occurs, you can use the console to repair the backup database. (You will probably lose all backups in this process.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 17, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    what you can try is to clean the external disk and see, if you can get it added or removed after doing so.
    Connect the disk to your WHS or an XP/Vista client.
    Open a command prompt and enter following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x
    (instead of x write the number of your external disk - writing the wrong number here may result in loss of all data on the selected disk)
    clean (deletes all partitions and rewrites MBR)
    exit

Try to handle the disk again via console.
    If it still fails, the things become interesting - because the only time I have had somebody experiencing this issue in the German WHS blog forums, this ended in a complete reinstall of WHS after having trouble with a different disk in context with attempted troubleshooting (removing the bad disk from registry).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 17, 2008 9:20 AM
  • Please submit a bug on Connect. Include server logs collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit.

I would hold off on Olaf's suggestion; if Windows Home Server moved anything to the disk in question you'll lose it when you try that. And if you get to that point, I think you will have to reinstall WHS anyway; I can't see where cleaning the disk is going to change anything on the server.

Instead I would try disconnecting the drive and removing it from the server in the console. (In that order.) You may see warnings about file loss; I think you're going to have to ignore those for the time being. Once the drive has been removed from the server (nothing shows in the console), connect it to some other computer and look in the folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares. (The DE folder is hidden.) Any files you find there will be the files that you were warned about previously. If you find files, copy them back to your server's shares, in the appropriate locations.

You may also have problems with backups afterward, if components of the backup database were on that drive. If this occurs, you can use the console to repair the backup database. (You will probably lose all backups in this process.)

Friday, October 17, 2008 12:21 PM
  • There is absolutely nothing on the drive. It was never added to the server and it did not even finish format since it gave me the message of can not create a
     volume. If you connect the drive to Vista it tells you it needs to be formatted. i am not afraid about data loss. I have files in only one folder in the whole server and it absolutely healthy according to the console. 
    • Edited by akis26 Friday, October 17, 2008 1:13 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2008 1:11 PM
  • I did what you suggested and reconnected the drive onto the server. However, the old drive is now missing and a new one is ready to be added. I did go ahead and add it without any problems but no way to rermove the other one (that does not exist it is missing). Since I only have 120 GB of data that I already copied elsewhere I am starting to think reinstall will probably be the way to go ahead and do it. What do you think?
    Friday, October 17, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Reinstalling will certainly correct the issue, but what happens when you try to remove the missing drive using the console? I've got to admit that when I forced this issue on a test server (there are ways to manipulate things on the back end to cause it), the only recourse was reinstalling WHS. But that was months ago, and I haven't tried again since PP1 was released.

Given that you have your data copied elsewhere, installing from scratch would be the best option. Is the drive in question an external USB drive? As a general rule, I would recommend against the use of USB drives in the storage pool. A number of users have had problems with external USB drives, and while that's probably more a reflection on the quality of the drive enclosure than anything else, I still don't feel it's worth the risk.

Friday, October 17, 2008 4:16 PM