WHS 2010 vs 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old box which I am converting into a NAS.  It has 6 TB Enterprise class SATA2 drives in a Raid5 configuration.  The system itself is only a P4 w/1GB of memory.  I do not plan to u/g the system board or memory if not needed.  I have a few questins, which as as follows:

1.  WHS 2011 is purely for the 64bit system (there is no 32bit for this version) ?

2.  If I install an fully configured ab eval copy of WHS 2010, there is no way to activate, unless I purchase a new license copy and perform a re-install ?

Presently, I am using an eval. copy, which states that it will expire on the next day, when the next day arrives it states tha it will expire the day after that (not to sure what is going on here).  So far, the eval. copy of 2010 is great.  Thinking of purchasing this version if the 2011 only supports 64 bit.  All, I need is lots of storage, now I need it too work.  I tried Openfiler (free Unix version), but prefer the GUI interface of WHS. Any insight would be helful.  Tx.... David

David Filosa
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:26 PM

All replies

• 1. Yes, only 64 bit.

2. You don't need to do a reinstall. There is an option to just enter a new product key when you want to activate.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:30 PM