Should I replace System Drive, or just add New Drive to Pool? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello All,

I have an HP MediaSmart Server with a 500GB drive as the system drive and then two 1TB drives.  I just purchased a third 1TB drive and was wondering what the best course to take.  Shoud I just add the new drive to the pool, or should I upgrade the system drive to a 1TB drive and then move the 500GB drive to the pool?

I know that the OS and system files only occupy 20GB of the system drive, but I recall reading somewhere that the overall size of the system drive can affect performance when transfering large amounts of data to the server.  I think the article stated that all data copied to the server is first placed on the system drive and then is moved to the pool.  If this is all correct, then I would assume that the larger the system drive, the better.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

SilkRod

Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:27 PM

All replies

• SilkRod,

Unless you intend transferring lots of files of 400GB or more as a matter of course, there is no real benefit from changing the system disk. Personally, I would leave as is, and use the extra drive as storage when needed. Alternatively, you could utilise the extra drive as a repository for your backup of Backups - when the PowerPack is released.

Colin 

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:38 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

SilkRod,

Unless you intend transferring lots of files of 400GB or more as a matter of course, there is no real benefit from changing the system disk. Personally, I would leave as is, and use the extra drive as storage when needed. Alternatively, you could utilise the extra drive as a repository for your backup of Backups - when the PowerPack is released.

Colin 

Thanks Colin.  With PowerPack, to use the new drive to backup Backups, would I still add the new to the vacant slot of the HP MS or will I have to use an external case or network case for the new drive?

SilkRod

Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:50 PM
  • I haven't tested that scenario (I use external drives for backup), but I believe yhou should be able to use the currently vacant slot to swap out a drive. Just be aware that internal SATA connectors (which is what's on a drive) are rated for a very low number of plug/unplug cycles before they may fail. (I think it's around 50) As a result, using an internal swappable drive may not be the best bet, even if it does work.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:36 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I haven't tested that scenario (I use external drives for backup), but I believe yhou should be able to use the currently vacant slot to swap out a drive. Just be aware that internal SATA connectors (which is what's on a drive) are rated for a very low number of plug/unplug cycles before they may fail. (I think it's around 50) As a result, using an internal swappable drive may not be the best bet, even if it does work.

Ken,

I didn't fully understand your answer, so I'll refraise my question.  With the new PowerPack, which I understand will allow me to backup my server, I'm asking if the backup drive has to be a part of the pool, if not, does it have to be in one of the internal slots, or does it have to be an external drive?  If it can be an external drive, can it be a network drive or should I just hang a drive off one of the USB ports?

If it doesn't have to be an internal drive, I'll just add my new 1TB drive to the pool and buy something later to backup the backups.

SilkRod

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:31 AM
  • I actually wasn't aware that SATA internal connectors had such a low plug cycle rating... This information further backs my recommendation to use Kingwin aluminum (not the cheap plastic ***) hot-swap drive trays installed in the 5.25" bays. The WHS I build is a mid-tower with 4 bays, one occupied by DVD reader, the other three are trays. I don't anticipate the need to change drives very often, but I love the convenience of changing drives without opening the case. The trays say they are hot-swap supported, but I've never tried it.

Ken Warren wrote:
    I haven't tested that scenario (I use external drives for backup), but I believe yhou should be able to use the currently vacant slot to swap out a drive. Just be aware that internal SATA connectors (which is what's on a drive) are rated for a very low number of plug/unplug cycles before they may fail. (I think it's around 50) As a result, using an internal swappable drive may not be the best bet, even if it does work.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:12 PM