How to sync files or folders in WAN without VPN RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm developing an application liking SyncToy. It need Sync Files and Folders in WAN without VPN.

I read "Introducing Microsoft Sync Framework: Sync Services for File Systems", but I could not understand how to set WAN RootDirectoryPath in  Class FileSyncProvide and  WAN Paht doesn't share folder.

eg. There are two servers. one in ShangHai of China,Another in America. how can I Sync files and forlders with two servers.

Please give me sugguestion..thank you

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:07 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi humozhi,

In order to use the File Sync Provider to synchronize files between two endpoints, both endpoints will need to be addressable via win32 file operations. In the case of synchronization between two servers, both will need to be addressable via Windows file sharing (i.e. SMB) from the machine where the sync engine is running.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:32 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I am working in a same project and i must synchronize two folder and their subfolder/files...

My situation:

- I have a windows where I can insert the address of source and destination

- In my file windows.cs I have created two private string

private string _rootSourcePath = string.Empty;

private string _rootDestinationPath = string.Empty;

- Then I have in the method buttonclick a part of code

this._rootSourcePath = this.txtSource.Text;

this._rootDestinationPath = this.txtDestination.Text;

THIS PART TAKE THE ADDRESS IN THE TEXTBOX AND IT USED BY A STRING

- Now you can sync the directories

Another method without an graphic interface is:

- Go in your project

- right click in the solution and click on property

- then click Debug

- where there are Start Option there is the field "Command line arguments" and in this field you can write your addresses

ANOTHER IMPORTANT THINGS, BOTHS THE FOLDER AND SUBFOLDER THEY MUST HAVE A FULLCONTROL IN THE PERMISSION

I hope these response can help you

Ilan

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Hi humozhi,

In order to use the File Sync Provider to synchronize files between two endpoints, both endpoints will need to be addressable via win32 file operations. In the case of synchronization between two servers, both will need to be addressable via Windows file sharing (i.e. SMB) from the machine where the sync engine is running.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:32 PM