OCS 2007 PBX Integration with CUCM 6.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Guys - some great threads here but I'm a little stumped on some of the aspects of this whole OCS/CUCM/CUPS and Enteprise Voice with PBX Integration here.

Here's what we have done thus far:

1 - OCS 2007 Enterprise FE pool (mypool.mycompany.com) and an OCS 2007 Mediation Server (mediation.mycompany.com) have been set up.

2 - CUCM 6.0 (cucm.mycompany.com)

3 - CUPS 6.0 (mycups.mycompany.com)

4 - SIP Trunk between CUCM and Mediation Server.

5 - SIP Trunk between CUCM and CUPS

6 - Static SIP route from OCS FE to CUPS

We have been successful in getting the following scenarios working:

1 - RCC only mode.  User's Server URI: sip:user@mycups.mycompany.com and Line URI: tel:7785;phone-context=dialstring.   This works satisfactorily apart from some minor issues.

2 - Enterprise Voice only mode.  User's Line URI: tel:+7785.  This allows me to make calls from MOC to other extensions and the PSTN network but MOC to Cisco IP phone calls appear from an External number but I can see that the call is coming from +7785.  No Cisco IP phone or indeed any inbound calls to MOC are possible (I understand that this could possibly be solved via an IP-IP gateway to add the + sign from CUCM).

What I would ideally like is both.  When I set up a user for enterprise voice and PBX integration, I get the following issues in the following scenarios:

1 - Server URI: sip:user@mycups.mycompany.com and Line URI: tel:+7785 - MOC throws an error saying "cannot obtain authorization for phone integration"

2 - Server URI: sip:user@mycups.mycompany.com and Line URI: tel:7785 - MOC fires up OK, can make and receive calls via RCC but when I go to make a call from the computer by changing the Call Forward Settings/My Preferred Calling Device to Computer, I get an error ID: 18 which I am aware is because the Line URI is not in E.164 format as it lacks the + sign.

3 - Server URI: sip:user@mycups.mycompany.com and Line URI: tel:7785;phone-context=dialstring - we cannot make the Line URI this as this configuration is not allowed by ADUC.

My other issue is that users who have been enabled for Enterprise Voice or RCC regardless, do not have their numbers displayed in the Call menu in MOC - I have populated the right fields in ADUC (I think) but they do not appear for any user.

So, is there any way to get Enterprise Voice and PBX integration on my current setup?  Ideally, I'd like to make calls from my Cisco IP phone or MOC and have inbound calls ring both my Cisco IP phone and MOC.

Is this the Nirvana we all seek?

Help a brother out - replies to this thread are redeemable for beer.  :-)

Cheers!

Hendo

Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't think that there is a way to do the "Enterprise Voice with PBX Integration" with CUPS and CCM right now... I've tried it many different ways and it doesn't seem to work properly. I've been able to configure the user properly (try putting +7785 as the Line URI) and log in. It logs in just fine. But I can't get the calls to "fork" properly.

As the OCS/CUPS integration isn't yet supported by either MS or Cisco, we may have to wait for the "full" functionality.

Your problem with the numbers not showing up is most in MOC is most likely due to the Address Book service not liking the format that they are in. Try putting your numbers in the +13125551212 format in AD and see if they start showing up in MOC.

If you don't want to use that format, you can write special Address Book normalization rules that help the AB service parse your numbers so that MOC can understand them.

Regards,

Matt

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think that there is a way to do the "Enterprise Voice with PBX Integration" with CUPS and CCM right now... I've tried it many different ways and it doesn't seem to work properly. I've been able to configure the user properly (try putting +7785 as the Line URI) and log in. It logs in just fine. But I can't get the calls to "fork" properly.

As the OCS/CUPS integration isn't yet supported by either MS or Cisco, we may have to wait for the "full" functionality.

Your problem with the numbers not showing up is most in MOC is most likely due to the Address Book service not liking the format that they are in. Try putting your numbers in the +13125551212 format in AD and see if they start showing up in MOC.

If you don't want to use that format, you can write special Address Book normalization rules that help the AB service parse your numbers so that MOC can understand them.

Regards,

Matt

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Spot on - thanks for that ....the Address Book stuff has beeen resolved and boy am I getting good at regular expressions!

I work for a Cisco partner and we have access to a release candidate of CUCM 6.1 which I believe may resolve the E.164 issue so I'll post here as soon as I know what the story is.

Thanks for your help, Matt - the offer for the beer still stands :-)

Hendo

Friday, January 4, 2008 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

CUCM 6.0 CUPS 6.0 to OCS document on Cisco website for RCC.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps7240/c1237/ccmigration_09186a00808aea28.pdf

It is supported for RCC but not all the features that were available for LCS are there. Dual call forking is not going to supported by Cisco till a later release. My guess is the CUCM 7.0 time frame at this stage.Dual call forking with RCC maybe a little further off still I would imagine.

Here is another useful website from MS. The Qualification Levels section is a important one :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx

I am about to do the integration to OCS from CUPS for RCC in the next few weeks in our lab so I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Chris

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:18 AM
  • Hi,

Yeah, the cisco doc is a pretty good one, but it could use some words to go with the screenshots! Also worth noting that MS still won't support the integration (as your link points out) until sometime in 08. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

I have it up and running in production and it's been 90% good. A few odd quirks to work out, but overall it's been great.

Hendo - glad you have it all down. I'd happily take you up on the beer!

Regards,

Matt

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Yeah VoIPnorm - I agree with you on the CIsco doc...I know a picture speaks a thousand words but not in this case.

That said, it did help somewhat.

I should have CUCM6.1 up and running in a few days so I'll post on my experience here too.

Cheers!

Hendo

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:49 AM
  • Hi Hendo,

If you think that one is bad you should see the Cisco doc for connecting an ISR router to OCS for PSTN connectivity. Its just plain average. Seems they have lost the art of technical writing when it comes to their Microsoft integration documentation. Guess they dont want people having to easy a time working it out. Makes you wonder why they go to the trouble of doing all this integration work when they turn around and produce poor work like that. I think if you use that document with this document should get you most of the way there:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/6_0_1/install_upgrade/deployment/guide/dgmsint.html#wp1049488

Good luck.

Cheers

Chris

Monday, January 7, 2008 4:47 AM
  •  

Just to share my experience with CUCM/CUPS/OCS:

We successfully manage to integrate RCC user CUCM5.1 <> CUPS6.0 <> OCS2007

After some troubleshooting we can now place and receive or redirect call and phones.

The drawback is that we must have Cisco IP Comunnicator running, while we use MOC2007 for all phone management

I'm making some heavy tests now with CUCM6.0 <> OCS2007 using SIP trunk and OCS mediation server.

- I'm able to establish calls from a MOC2007 client to CUCM clients  ;

- But throw CUCM there one configuration where I can sucessfully signal the call to a MOC client, but then it cannot establish the call. And in this configuration a MOC client cannot make call outside

Why? a simple plus sign (+)

- For OCS you need to define a Line URI on the user with tel:+XXXX for routing;

- Cisco can receive and "handle" phone numbers with the plus sign, but it can't send throught the trunk the + sign (because it uses it has a internal normalization character?)

It's a little bit desperate when you have lots of clients who wishes to use OCS2007 only.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Check the thread below where i have posted and IP -IP GW configuration for running on a Cisco ISR router. This configuration will allow CCM 4.2.3 or 6.1 to talk to OCS through the mediation server of course via a SIP trunk for 6.1 and H323 GW for 4.2.3. Hope this helps.

SIP trunk between OCS and Cisco Unified Communications Manager 

Let em knwo if you have any questions.

Cheers

Chris

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Hi there,
    I have the same setup as yours.
    I'm using CUCM 6.1 with Presence 6 and OCS Std and a mediation server.
    My question is when you integrate client using RCC do you get presence information on the MOC clients ?
    I can control the phone from the MOC clients but when the phones are off hook (in a call), presence information is not send to OCS to show on the MOC clients.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Ok so forking is not currently supported but will hopefully come in 7x as will E.164 support (reportedly!).

Your problem with presence integration is likely to do with user associated with the line DN in callmanager. Find the user in callmanager, select the line DN and at the bottom of the page make sure the user account is associated with that line. Without this, line status updates won't get passed back to CUPS and then to MOC when the phone goes off hook.

Integrating callmanager with OCS at present is fun to say the least. In my lab I have an NET VX1200 gateway sat between the two to handle the problems with E.164 routing (e.g. stripping back to just the extension number when calling CCM from OCS and vice versa).

RCC and presence works fine but as said above, call forking does not work properly yet. It can probably fudged with a gateway but you'll get into horrid unsupported configurations then ;-). Best to wait to v7 if you can.

-Dave

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Hello,

Im planning an integration between OCS 2007 and CUCM/CUPS with RCC. I found a fairly detailed guide on CCO -->

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/7_0/english/integration_notes/IntegrationNoteOCS_CUP70_MOCCallControl.html

I would like to confirm a few questions before i lock myself in our lab..

Precense integration:
    OCS 2007 Front End srv <--> SIP/CSTA <--> CUPS 7.0
    CUPS 7.0 <--> SIP_Trunk <--> CUCM 7.0

Telephony integration:
    OCS 2007 Mediation srv <--> SIP_Trunk <--> IP2IPGW <--> SIP_Trunk<-->CUCM 7.0

Does this make sense?

I believe a direct sIP trunk between the mediation server and CUCM is possible
    but we need a IP2IPGW in between for specific callrouting reasons.

With this integration im hoping to get the following features:

- Calls & precense from MOC clients to Cisco phones and vice versa
    - Ability to control the Cisco phone from the MOC client with RCC. Possibility to use the MOC client independently
    - Call forking (user should be able to answer calls using MOC or the Cisco Phone)

Are there any other nice features that this integration enables?

Cheers,
    Anton
    Friday, October 31, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Hi Anton,

You wont need the IP2IPGW for the telephony integration with 7.0. 7.0 supports direct connection and i belive it has normalisation rules. You could also apply the patches to OCS that removes the + sign before  sending the call to CCM just depends on where you want to do configuration. The only reason you may need an ISR is if you wish to use it for MTP's in Callmanager but for a lab setup you could use the Callmaanger to provide this as your call volumes will be pretty low. Good luck.

Cheers

Chris

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

For RCC integration with CUPS, you don't need a SIP trunk (only when you want to use Cisco Communicator).

You won't be able to get OCS users presence in Cisco environment, only telephony presence will be brought to OCS.

Dual forking with RCC is not yet fully supported with the version 6. You can find some workarounds, but not very clean.

Friday, October 31, 2008 9:30 PM
  • >You won't be able to get OCS users presence in Cisco environment
    Is this the case also with CUCM 7.0 and CUPS 7.0?

Is it possible to do the RCC integration but still be able to use MOC as a third party SIP phone with CUCM when a HW Cisco phone is not available? I don't like the idea of having to run both MOC and Cisco IP Communicator on the laptop when working remotely.

Cheers,
    Anton
    Monday, November 3, 2008 2:14 PM
  • I don't know if versions 7 will allow this, don't think so.

You will be able to make Entreprise Voice calls from MS Communicator, but not to receive EV calls at your MS Communicator, some issues still there for this, even with the new patch which enables OCS not to use + sign in front of E164 numbers. (and some trouble in displayed number when call established, or in recent calls list).

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:22 PM
  • We are looking to deploy OCS with CUCM 6.0. I understand I require the following

OCS>>>>>>>>>>>CUPS>>>>>>>CUCM

The connection between all of them is SIP  with direct IP connection between them - is this correct?  The idea is that the CUCM will provide the call routing and we use the OCS from a voice point of view for Voice presense as well as starting calls from either the OCS client or from the IPT handset. Calls coming into via the CUCM will ring the handset and the OCS client, annswering via the handset will result in the CUPS server sending my handset presense to OCS  to show busy onteh client and if I answered via the OCS client then my OCS presense will be sent to the CUPS/CUCM to show up in my IPT presense - some one views me in their missed, place call directory then I would also be busy - is this correct as well as any other presence application

I understand however for this to work I need Dual Forking which is not available unable yet maybe CUCM  7.1. Woud I need EV in OCS for the above set up or just nomral OCS even though all the routing is handled by CUCM, would I need a media server. Also as CUCM  handles the call routing I don t need the route patterns or call barrng set up in OCS ?

Sorry for the many questions

Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:40 PM
  • hi IPTuser,

Check the above posts properly. On CUCM 6 integrating with OCS, you will only have RCC working - no dual forking. We have tested the scenario with CUCM v7 and the dual forking works. OCS must have EV checked and you will need a mediation server for the codec translation.  For the routing options I recommend to look at the call scenarios.
    If EV is on and if all the rules and barring options are in CUCM then there is no need for OCS to have rules. Dont duplicate if you can have all rules at one place. Be aware thou that for the EV scenario - a user will be able to call out directly and will need an external number. These rules for the OC clients need to be configured (or added) on the CUCM. So the CUCM will have the rules for the Cisco fixed phones and for the OC clients.

Regards
    Anesh
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Hi, AneshR!

You've mentioned above, that you managed to get dual forking to work in scenarios including CUCM 7.

I have a similar set of tools  CCM 7 - CUPS 7.0 - OSC 2007 R2 (sip trunking only, no CUCIMOC plugins), and unable to get DF to run.
    Line numbers and DN extensions are used in E164 format (+xxxxxxxxxxxxxx), RCC is working, but forking is not (will give more details later).

Who should be the main route reception of external calls? OCS or UCM? What tools you've used to make DF working, or is it out-of-the-box ready?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:13 PM