Windows Home Server and Live Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, so I got this little tip from Maximum PC, something I have been wanting to do. I store my music on my home PC but also have all the music on my Home Server for streaming over to internet & PS3/Xbox or whatever. I wanted to have a way to sync my PC music folder to the music folder on the server, so if I download a new tune from Amazon or whatever and save it to my PC music folder, it will automatically copy to the music folder on the server. So I downloaded the Sync program (SyncToySetupPackage.exe) as suggested by MPC and it installed fine on my PC, but I cannot figure out how to get it to install on my Home Server. It tells me that it is not a valid Win32 application. So I found the Microsoft hosted installation files (WindowsLiveSync.msi) and it tells me that the installation package could not be opened, contact the application vendor to verify that this is valid Windows installer package. I know these work, I used the 2nd one to install it on my PC.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:36 PM

All replies

• You run SyncToy on your client computer, not your home server. When you run it initially, you can define folder pairs (local and remote) to sync, and the way they should be synced. While it's certainly possible to run SyncToy on an automatic schedule, I wouldn't bother. Just run it once a week or so.

The MaximumPC "Build your own home server" article is long on "building" the server, and short on "using", I'm afraid. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Thank. I was under the impression that the program had to be installed on both machines, the source and the destination. Ill give that a shot when I get home. Thanks Ken, your name always seem to popup when i need help =)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Now for the other reason my name probably always pops up. :)

You could have learned what I told you for yourself, had you read the help files and documentation that came with SyncToy...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by DLang123 Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:09 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Help files? Who reads those? Thats what Google (or Bing) and Wikis are for LOL.....

Now if I could just get the remote access to work and keep it from guzzling power.....

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:20 PM